Failed door varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
CNfaileddoor4-1.jpg

CNfaileddoor6.jpg

I have recently had my 100 year old teak front doors stripped and I have sanded and treated with ronseal yacht varnish ... six coats. As soon as they were re hung the varnish started to blister and go white where the rain water touched the varnish. The inside of the door is fine except a little mark where the water leaked through the letter box. The damage to the varnish was almost instant ... certainly within 24 hours. What have I done wrong and how do i put it right?
The first photo is the outside of the door and the second one the inside (sorry the photo is on its side i can't get it to go the right way up!
Nick

Sponsored Links
What prep did you do?...When you say stripped,do you mean with a hotair gun or dipped?
Did you use white spirit to clean the surface before applying coats.
Did you rub down between coats?(and use white spirit again?)
How long did you leave it between coats?
Did you take letter plate off and varnish the cut-out hole?(looks like that's a no from the photos)

As with everything you want a good finish on ...it's all in the prep...don't do it and no matter what or how good a product is,you will always get a lousy end result.

What prep did you do?...When you say stripped,do you mean with a hotair gun or dipped?
Did you use white spirit to clean the surface before applying coats.
Did you rub down between coats?(and use white spirit again?)
How long did you leave it between coats?
Did you take letter plate off and varnish the cut-out hole?(looks like that's a no from the photos)

As with everything you want a good finish on ...it's all in the prep...don't do it and no matter what or how good a product is,you will always get a lousy end result.

Thanks for the reply.
The door was dipped.
I prepared with a lot of sanding but no cleaning with white spirit or anything else.
I sanded lightly between coats and left between 8 and 48 hours between coats.
All door furniture including the letter plate (which is a new one)(but excluding the hinges) was removed before work started on the door.

I really appreciate your advice. I am aware I will have to remover the doors, sand them down and start again but i don't want to make the same mistake twice!
Should i be cleaning with white spirit between coats?
Nick

How long did you leave the door to dry before varnishing it...depending on what type of wood and the thickness of the door it can take 3 to 4 weeks for it to dry out fully.

Even if it seems dry to the touch the middle of the wood could still be soaking wet,which if you paint or varnish too soon could lead to the problem you have now.

I restore sash windows and remove paint by hand,with a combination of hot air gun, scrapers,nitromors and wirewool.

Seen some doors come out great when dipped and others come out like a nightmare(fluffy,warped,joints opened up etc.etc.

Hard to tell from a photo exactly whats gone wrong...If it was me I would wait and see if any more streaks appear or patches where whatever they were dipped in bleads through the varnish.

If it does ,then the only way to get a good finish will be to remove it all and start again(if it appears all over the door)If you can sand down the affected areas and make it good then thats a bonus.

as its a door and you can remove it away from the house to minimise the dust going into the house when you sand it down.I would sand then brush off the worst,or use the hoover with a brush attachment then use a tack cloth.£2 for 5 at dulux center,then use white spirit before applying varnish.

Had a look at the varnish you are using and it says 2 maybe 3 coats should be enough...rub down using 240 or better still 320 paper...all you need to do is give the next coat a key...not remove the coat you just applied.

Sponsored Links
I much prefer a breathing/microporous woodstain. Varnish is more troublesome. Use a colourless one and if necessary even out the colour first with colron.

You can also use oil on hardwoods.

How long did you leave the door to dry before varnishing it...depending on what type of wood and the thickness of the door it can take 3 to 4 weeks for it to dry out fully.

Even if it seems dry to the touch the middle of the wood could still be soaking wet,which if you paint or varnish too soon could lead to the problem you have now.

I restore sash windows and remove paint by hand,with a combination of hot air gun, scrapers,nitromors and wirewool.

Seen some doors come out great when dipped and others come out like a nightmare(fluffy,warped,joints opened up etc.etc.

Hard to tell from a photo exactly whats gone wrong...If it was me I would wait and see if any more streaks appear or patches where whatever they were dipped in bleads through the varnish.

If it does ,then the only way to get a good finish will be to remove it all and start again(if it appears all over the door)If you can sand down the affected areas and make it good then thats a bonus.

as its a door and you can remove it away from the house to minimise the dust going into the house when you sand it down.I would sand then brush off the worst,or use the hoover with a brush attachment then use a tack cloth.£2 for 5 at dulux center,then use white spirit before applying varnish.

Had a look at the varnish you are using and it says 2 maybe 3 coats should be enough...rub down using 240 or better still 320 paper...all you need to do is give the next coat a key...not remove the coat you just applied.

Thanks so much for your opinion! The door probably had about a week between dipping and the first coat of varnish. The whole external surface is now damaged so I need to sand it all off and start again .... should I leave it to dry in the warm for a few weeks before re-varnishing?
Nick

Stripping chemicals are still present, revived with a little rain they are dissolving the varnish.Could have done with a good oiling to act as a barrier and stop shrinkage.

Stripping chemicals are still present, revived with a little rain they are dissolving the varnish.Could have done with a good oiling to act as a barrier and stop shrinkage.

Thanks ... is it OK to oil and then varnish?

Sand the door.

Remove/neutralize the stripping agents, likely alkaline, with something acidic, white Vinegar or oxalic acid, lightly wash off.

re-seal.

Sand the door.

Remove/neutralize the stripping agents, likely alkaline, with something acidic, white Vinegar or oxalic acid, lightly wash off.

re-seal.

Thanks so much .. I am trying that on a small section at the moment .... fingers crossed!
Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back