Fair price for electrical work ?

Sponsored Links
Are all those new and wider sockets going to be sunk into a solid wall, sunk into plasterboard (easier), or surface mounted (easiest)?

Mix of solid walls and stud

I have asked him to clarify the CU being quoted for and have another spark coming later to quote

Well the second spark said doing to test is a waste of money as it will just recommend a new CU and smaller cable for electric shower etc , plus he didnt do chasing into walls and suggested trunking and coverter singles to doubles etc

back to the drawing board

Sponsored Links
So, he's a short cut CBA sort of fella.
His average day will work like this:

I'm going to replace that fuseboard.
Rip the old one out
Put in the new one
Connect up the wires
Switch on
Oh look, the RCD is tripping!
I wonder why that is?
Which of the circuits that I have just connected is the one causing the problem?
I suppose that I will have to go through them one at a time and test them......I hope the customer doesn't mind sitting in the dark while I try and figure this out.

Oh yes. He would have to test all of the circuits in any case. When replacing a consumer unit he needs to produce an installation certificate when he has finished. The certificate is a record of the test results for each circuit. So, no test, no certificate for you = no confidence vote for him.

Well the second spark said doing to test is a waste of money as it will just recommend a new CU and smaller cable for electric shower etc , plus he didnt do chasing into walls and suggested trunking and coverter singles to doubles etc

Good grief! Tell him to hit the bricks. What a lazy git!

We used to have someone here who claimed to be an electrician who thought you'd get a more severe electric shock from a cable carrying more current.

Many firms bank on getting extras, and not only domestic even large jobs. The one I remember was helping another electrician doing some work in a kitchen, he had quoted for the work and selected what he was using. During the job the lady of the house would frequently ask can you do this or can you do that, the answer always seemed to be yes, she thought he was a great electrician pampering to her every wish, until they got the bill, every thing she had asked for was also billed for, the bill was twice the quote, and the electrician explained to the guy how his wife had authorised the extra work, he paid up as she clearly had asked for the work.

After I talked to him and said how I didn't think she had expected to be charged for the extras and should he have not said it would be added to the bill at the time, his reply was of course not, that's how I make my money.

Of course. Why should he have done it at no extra cost? I do exactly the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back