Replacement cooker socket & RCD - are they required ?

Tut SS. Already been asked - no answer though

Dont suppose you know the KiloWatt rating of the existing cookers and new cooker do you?

At work at the moment - I'll check tonight and let you know
Thanks for the replies so far
Tim

The existing cooker is a Hotpoint Double Oven BD31 OK not sure if I've got this right but it's info I got from google the KW's @ 3.5 KW

Replacement is a Belling Country Range 100cm Duel Fuel taken from their website I found the following:

Max. power consumption 2.3 kW
Electrical connection via 32 Amp cooker box

Hope this helps
Cheers

Sponsored Links
So the manufacturers say you can just connect it to a 32A cooker circuit.

So you don't need a socket for it to plug into.

So the RCD issue goes away.

Is the existing outlet plate for the oven in the right place for the new cooker to use it? If so, then unless anything you have is damaged the work required¹ to install this is:

1) Remove cable from terminals on back of old oven.

2) Attach cable to terminals on back of new cooker.

If you know which end of a screwdriver is which you can DIY.

¹ Obviously after #1 and before #2 there's work to do on the gas supply, as you'll need a flexible hose and bayonet connection fitted to replace the rigid pipework supplying the hob - I was only talking about the electrical side.

If this bit is true
Max. power consumption 2.3 kW
then it should be fused at about 10 Amps. not 32Amps

My own dual-fuel cooker (gas hob, single electric fan oven) runs off a 13A fused plug

Sponsored Links
cooker flex?

you could have quite a bad fault before tripping a 32A MCB

It doesn't come with a flex - you provide your own.

If you're daft enough to use one which is too small for a 32A circuit then yes, you might have problems.

It doesn't come with a flex
mine did

and a 13A plug

Not a Belling, though.

edited

HOWEVER

having looked at the specification
http://www.belling.co.uk/Content/Documents/SpecificationsDec2009/Range-specification.pdf

which appears to have been designed to be difficult to read, it appears to have two electric ovens and a separate grill compartment, at about 2kW each, so it can't possibly run on a 13A plug, it must need to be hardwired to a cooker point.

I would suggest asking around friends and neighbours for a local independent electrician who is a member of a competent persons scheme, to get a quote for a new 32A Radial circuit. I wouldn't pay to have the old one taken out. Maybe use it for a dedicated Freezer radial or something, or the washer and drier to take the load off the Ring. If it's already in 6mm it may already be suitable to use with the new range.

So not the same cooker that the OP is getting, and what yours came with is of no relevance to him.

His does not come with a flex or a plug, and Belling say it can be connected to a 32A supply.

They do say flex, though, so thr62, you might want to get a couple of metres of, for example, H05RR-F3G6 or H05RN-F3G6.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back