Fairy Liquid dosing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, I've heard you can now buy a new version of Fairy Liquid, which meters the dose that you squirt into the bowl, but I've been experimenting with alternative methods to avoid wastage and cut out the guessing. Those pump bottles, which contain hand-washing soap, deliver just the right amount of Fairy, for a bowl of washing up, with a single press of the pump and no waiting for the liquid to trickle it's way down to the outlet, before squeezing.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So in order to prevent waste by a user using more fairy liquid than they need to they have started using non recyclable squirty tops and made more waste.

While they may be made of recyclable plastic when they have a metal spring in them it prevent them being recycled as easily so they are usually destined for the general waste (hole in the ground).

But hopefully they won't get thrown away so often. Really should incentivise that sort of thing by selling eg a pump bottle for £1.50 and then the exact same bottle without the pump and just a peel-off foil lid for £1, so one can unscrew the pump, transfer to new bottle and throw the old one in the recycling. Perhaps even a squeezy refill pouch using a tenth of the plastic of a new bottle

It'd also be nice if the base of the bottle could have an internal slope to a point that the pump picks up from, so it's not so much of a faff trying to get the last bits of soap out.. but designers clearly can't give us everything?

It'd also be nice if the base of the bottle could have an internal slope to a point that the pump picks up from, so it's not so much of a faff trying to get the last bits of soap out.. but designers clearly can't give us everything?

What I do with the original squirty bottles is...

Put the spout under the running water, filling the bowl, squeeze and suck water into the container. Then swill around and squirt into the bowl.

I just squirt a big load in my hand and rub 'em together.

what?

:whistle:

Put the spout under the running water, filling the bowl, squeeze and suck water into the container. Then swill around and squirt into the bowl.
Yep, that's essentially what I was referring to when I said "faff" - in the context of a pump bottle it's unscrewing the pump, water in the bottle and shake it, perhaps then decant it to the refill, or use it for a few hand washings (much less satisfactory if it's too watery of course)..

TBF I think for stuff like hand soap it's probably reasonable to mix it 50/50 with water anyway, right from the moment of it being a new bottle (something easier to do when refilling) and particuarly when we top up a pump handwash with fairy liquid; one shot of neat FL is way overkill for a handwash

Point being that if the bottle were designed better, a small pocket for the soap to drain into and the pump to pick up from it would all be unnecessary. The other option is just to have a refill process that puts new soap on top of the old.. But they never seem to supply refils in Capri Sun type "squeeze it completely flat to get everything out" type pouches..

Yep, that's essentially what I was referring to when I said "faff" - in the context of a pump bottle it's unscrewing the pump, water in the bottle and shake it, perhaps then decant it to the refill, or use it for a few hand washings (much less satisfactory if it's too watery of course)..

It's no great faff, I just do it the once, as the FL is empty to use up the last dregs of liquid in the bottle, before it goes in the recycling bin. It doesn't matter that it is diluted, because it will be diluted in the washing up bowl anyway. The difference now, is that I use the FL bottle, to keep a pump bottle topped up.

This is our setup. We've had that bottle since November 2021.

Just noticed - 825 first dates - just right for Harry. ;)

8281A597-6BD5-406C-A66C-F3C96DC2A2C0.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back