fake beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have fake beams which were put up by the previous owner. these feels light eg polystyrene, and i assume these are glued on the ceiling.

i have never taken these down.

1 how do you take them off.
2, will the ceiling need skimming

any help would be appreiated

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

No i dont means covering these are wood effect beams going across the ceiling. ive lived in this house for 13 years and they have been there since then. they look very realistic but on taping them they are not wood. good when putting the xmas decs up but im considering taking them down,but trying to guess at how big a job this will be, especially as they seem to be stuck to the ceiling. any ideas welcome

coldshowerkid said:
trying to guess

Your guess is a good as ours! :rolleyes: You'll just have to pull one down with whatever it takes to pull one down, only then will you know whats above it.

Sponsored Links
the ones I have seen have a "U" shaped profile, just the shell of a beam with no top surface. you could probably cut through the sides near the ceiling using a fine wood saw, and scrape the remains off. They are glued on. You will have a bit of filling to do afterwards, but unless the ceiling is papered or artexed will not be too bad.

coldshowerkid said:
these are wood effect beams going across the ceiling.
There are normally stuck on with the polystyrene ceiling tiles adhesive, you won't know what mess it will be, try using a long thin scraper tool to start with it and lever it off gently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back