Colour scheme for odd shaped room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please bare with me as without photo's this may be a bit difficult to describe.

Planning to decorate an attic room and make it feel as light and airy as possible.

The front wall of the room is vertical for 2 metres, then has about 3 foot of sloping (45 degrees?) to a beam.

The rear wall is vertical for about 1.6 metres, then has a slopy roof with a velux in the middle then a beam.

The side walls go all the way up to the ceiling, with an offset pentagon profile due to the different lengths of slopey roof at the front and back.

I was originally thinking of having the ceiling and slopey parts painted white, and then all vertical walls a slightly darker colour to maximize the feeling of height and space.

However, vertical parts of the wall go higher than the whire parts of slopey ceiling which I thought might look a bit odd, so thought that doing the whole room including the ceiling an off white colour might be better. But I'm thinking that having a lighter colour on the ceilings would make it feel larger.

The floor will be a dark wood, and all the skirtings and architrave were going to be white. The beams would be varnished as light as possible, but would be relatively dark because the wood is dark. I'm thinking that the white ceiling and slopey ceiling in white would be best, despite the side walls going being a darker colour higher than it is on the front and rear walls.

Hope that makes sense, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I think I have half an idea what you mean

I find that whens theres lots of different angles and shapes its often better to go for variations of one colour in a room..a white ceiling against coloured walls can often look stark and can aslo highlight any weird shapes and angles

Plus if you have stained wood work the ceiling will be the only white thing in the room.

I would start with just one colour..lighten it by say 50% for the ceiling,...30% for the wall with the windows in it 10% for the side walls and then use the original colour for the wall facing the window.

If your friends like it and you want to impress them tell em you went for a 'momochromatic colour scheme' (mono=one chroma=colour)...if they dont like it tell em you got the idea from some idiot on a web site... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back