what colours should i use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello to all
i was hoping that someone using these forums would be able to guide me in the right direction.
i am a typical bloke and when it comes to the choice of colours for decorating i just havent got a clue, therefore i was hoping i could recieve some guidance on the choice of colours for one particular room.
the room is 7.5 metres long x 4.5 metres wide one of the longer walls has traditional quite old woodwork in a dark/deep mahogany colour for its entire length from floor to a foot from the ceiling, it is such a unique feature i wish to leave this as it is, the two doors into this room are the same colour as is the dado rail is halfway up the three remaining walls, the ceiling has five beams in the same dark colour but very nice and would, i feel be a crime to cover.
as for furniture the only items that will stay the same are a grandfather clock again dark, and a corner unit also dark.
my idea was, though my daughter disagrees, was to paint the lower half in a cream with the upper half in a lighter shade as i feel the room needs lightening up while retaining the traditional woodwork.
any advice please

Sponsored Links
This is difficult to visualise. Please can you post a photograph so we can help you better?

I agree that it is a bit difficult to visualise and a piccy would help but it does sound a bit like a traditional/cottage style room, although somewhat larger than most.

If this is the case, I see no reason why creams would look out of place. They are generally neutral and go very well with dark timber (and pretty much everything else for that matter) and your idea of a darker shade below the dado rail with lighter above is pretty traditional.

The actual shades you pick will be a matter of personal preference but, personally, I wouldn't have too dark a cream on the bottom section. Most colour charts have images of colours that compliment each other.

Sponsored Links
Old white is a great colour - it seems to vary wherever you use it. Outside it looks beige, inside it looks green.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back