Removing fake beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have some offensive fake beams in our living room that I would like to take down.

They are screwed so tightly into the wood ceiling beams that no matter what I do, I cant unscrew the fake ones. The screws just end up threaded.

How could I take down the fake beams ? Could I somehow drill out the screws with the right attachment.

I could probably force them down with a crowbar but then ill almost certainly have to replace the entire ceiling, plasterboard and all.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Sponsored Links
fake screwdriver?

sorry i couldnt help that one.

i have used a 20mm core cutter (no central bit) to cut around things such as you mention, then a large pair if grips to grab the screw and turn round the screw

bear in mind the cutter will want to skid a bit untill it gets started

or a claw of a claw hammer, but be gentle

If you want to avoid damaging those lovely beams too much, pin a piece of hardboard or ply, with a hole the outside diameter of the core cutter, over the screw to stop the cutter skidding around.

Grabit screw removers (like these) can be very useful depending on the shape of the screw you are trying to remove.

Another approach would be to use a reciprocating saw to make vertical cuts adjacent to the screws, and a chisel to break up the grain as necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back