Schoolboy error when putting up blinds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I couldn't find a specific place for this topic as it has a number of materials.

I've been decorating our back bedroom ready for the arrival of a baby. I'm not a handy man but I have managed to do a decent job thus far, until putting up the damn blinds.

First of all I tried to screw the fittings directly to the wall, but the plasterboard is weak and the plugs wouldn't hold in the wall, they left a mess when I took them out too.

So we decided to put up a wooden beam and mount the blind onto this, but this is where my next issue lies... I stuck up the beam with no more nails with the intention of then drilling & screwing it to the wall for added support...but I now have no way of getting plugs into the wall behind it! Yep, what an idiot.

I cannot take the beam down without further damaging the newly papered & painted wall.

Would it be possible to drill through the wood and into the wall and use extra long (70mm?) rawlplugs through the wood and wall and do it that way?

I'm just worried about the plugs holding the plasterboard and not coming loose and thus ripping the beam down.

Feel free to laugh and joke, I deserve it :D

Sponsored Links
Depends what depth the plasterboard is , often quite a void behind the plasterboard and then a lentil which may be metal or concrete depending on age of property.
I would leave as it is, the screw mouting the blind will give extra support, definately would not use hammer fixing for this application.

Sponsored Links
Easier to drill than lintel. ;)

Might right hands quicker than the left so make loads of typo's. :)

If you've stuck a wooden beam up with No More Nails why not just screw your blinds into this wood?

If you used enough of the adhesive I think you'll find it will pull your plaster off before it falls down, if that's what you're worried about.

Also, you can put a plug through a piece of wood into a piece of plaster. Won't work as well, but if the plug and screw is big enough it does still work. Sometimes you can hammer the plug most or all the way through a hole in the wood.

I doubt you need to though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back