fitting sliding cupbaord doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in hte process of putting in a new built in cupboard and I want to fit sliding doors.

The problem is in the ceiling where I will fit the track. I have removed the old ceiling from the cupboard which was plasterboard. The place where the top track will go there isn't any support.

Can I simply replace the ceiling in the cupboard with plywood (supported by 3 beams) Then put the tracks onto this plywood?

Alternatively, I could try and get another lump of wood and screw or nail it onto the adjacent beam? Although this is very ackward as there isn't really any room to use a hammer or screwdriver.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
What do mean by there is no support for the top rail?
Do you mean there is no timbers to fix to?
Is the ceiling void accessible from above, if so put some noggins in, in between the joist where the rail will run.
I assume you do have ceiling joists? That's why I asked the first question (What do mean by there is no support for the top rail?) and also the second!

yes, there is no timbers to fix it too.

And it cannot be accessed from above either.

Sponsored Links
If there are no timbers!
How is the ceiling fixed that you replaced?
and what would you fix any plywood to? three beams :confused: if installing three beams why don't you install the correct timbers needed, to fit your rail to?

I will add a picture tonight.

Perhaps by nothing to fix it too, I really mean, nothing within easy reach to fix it too.

highlighted in red is where top rail for the sliding doors needs to go. (Picture is looking upwards to the ceiling

CIMG0885.JPG

So my thought was to put a plywood ceiling in the cupboard and mount the doors to that. Would that be strong enougth

Alterantively I guess I could buy a joist but how would you support it.

What's supporting the last edge of ceiling board?
Are the timbers beneath the joists, noggins or joist running perpendicular?
Because I would fit perpendicular timbers across them, giving you a joist to fix the edge of the ceiling board, then some noggins across them to fix your rail to.

I think you may have overlooked the fact you don't fit track to ceiling, if you are using ready made doors, you will need to build a frame below screwed to the ceiling timbers to lower the track to suit the door height.

That will of course depend on your floor to ceiling height and you can buy made to measured doors.
The Track in my bedroom for example, is fitted directly to ceiling and no extra frame work or timbers were needed below ceiling level.
I did install additional timbers, above the ceiling to secure the rail to.
But even if you did need to build a frame, you still need secure fixing points for the head plate of the frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back