Technique for joining two sliding door tracks without the bump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any techniques for joining two cupboard sliding door tracks together? My opening is longer than the max length of one track so I'll have to just line them up, but there will be a bump where the roller moves over from one track to the other.

Tracks are pressed sheet metal, rollers are white plastic.

Sponsored Links
is there definitely a bump? or are you anticipating one?
You could possibly glue very thin steel strip or plastic over the join, clamping it down firmly to set.
Possibly with a chamfer.

What track is it?
it may be possible to buy it in longer lengths. they don't generally make it in 2/3m lengths, it's extruded in 100's of Metres and cut up.

Here's
is there definitely a bump? or are you anticipating one?
You could possibly glue very thin steel strip or plastic over the join, clamping it down firmly to set.
Possibly with a chamfer.

What track is it?
it may be possible to buy it in longer lengths. they don't generally make it in 2/3m lengths, it's extruded in 100's of Metres and cut up.

Here are some pics. It's pressed steel I think, longest they sell it here is 72 inches, meaning I had to buy 4 and cut them (3 sliding doors). I tried to put some electrical tape on there and it didn't make too much difference! Thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_20210914_083742.jpg
    IMG_20210914_083742.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20210914_083754.jpg
    IMG_20210914_083754.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 187
Sponsored Links
I imagined a more "Patio door profile" and wheels on the bottom.
so yours looks like the wheels run inside the tracks from the top?

Your alignment isn't exactly perfect

If you have an off cut you could take say a 50-100mm section and cut a 5mm slot right through the centre along the line of travel.
Then try to fix each half inside the track, using double sided tape to start.
Dressing each side of the insert with a file or sander to make a chamfer might help.

The other option would be to smooth epoxy over the join, move as much as possible when malleable, then sand

Does anyone have any techniques for joining two cupboard sliding door tracks together? My opening is longer than the max length of one track so I'll have to just line them up, but there will be a bump where the roller moves over from one track to the other.

Tracks are pressed sheet metal, rollers are white plastic.

I don't know, I have not tried it, but....

Would it have helped if rather than the tracks being cut at 90 degrees square - had they been cut diagonally at 45 degrees across the width of the track? The transfer from track to track would have been more gradual. Also the two sections will need to have been firmly fixed to the same rigid surface - the bump is caused by the slight misalignment and slight movement of the track, as weight transfers from one section to the next.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back