Fake Chimney Idea Good or Bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having Balanced Flue Gas fire fitted but I'm building a fake chimney in the lounge. I'm building it out from the wall about 50cm. I am think about removing the inner part of my cavity wall to make it look more real by being deeper than the wall itself. What do you think?

The wall is brick outside and concrete block inside. Was thinking of removing in the inside and putting in a small lintel. Is this a good idea or not? What would you use to fill the gap in the cavity wall? Would I need insulation, if so what sort?

Thanks in advance Matt

Sponsored Links
Not a brilliant idea.
You'll have to fit cavity closers where you breach the cavity
You'll have to insulate the brick wall- minimum would be 80mm PIR- and then cover it with something fire retardant (plasterboard as a minimum)
Lot of cash and effort for no real return i'd have said

I built a false chimney on our lounge wall. Only a fake coal fire with an electric fan heater built in. I didn’t sink it into the wall as I don’t think my neighbour would have been too pleased about it. :LOL:

D36246C8-6137-4DB0-A332-D78DE0F41D81.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back