False Ceiling Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a room I use as a utilitie room and am wanting to convert it into office space

The ceiling is lat and plaster, rather than drop the ceiling I would like to lower by 8" and fit down lighters.

What size timber should I use to make the frame to support the false ceiling... Also how is it supported in the middle section ???

Room Size
2.5M x 2.7M

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Sponsored Links
fit a grid system ceiling and 2' x 2' sit in fluorescent lights..
much better for an office than downlights..

thanks for the replies

I saw that guide though I was not clear on the size of the wood they have used 2" x 2" is what I was thinking though was not sure if it was over kill

Sponsored Links
fit a grid system ceiling and 2' x 2' sit in fluorescent lights..
much better for an office than downlights..

I'm with you all the way ColJack

Downlights for an office? So harsh and patchy!

2" X 2" is too feeble to support plasterboard, you need at least 3x2 and you can screw a 6x2 to the existing ceiling [and off joist hangers]in the centre line to support timber through middle and prevent sagging.
The new led downlights don't need ventilation like low voltage or mains lamps and are as bright as the other options, although a little more expensive in outlay and have an incredible lamp life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back