new false ceiling for downlighters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing some new low voltage downlighters in my kitchen and need to fit a plasterboard false ceiling to hide the new wiring. The existing ceiling has 12.5mm plasterboard attached to joists which are 200mm by 45mm in cross section and spaced 400mm apart. The false ceiling would be attached to softwood struts (25mm by 75mm cross section) which are themselves screw attached to the joists. The room size is 5.5m by 3.4m. My concern is over the ability of the existing ceiling to take the weight of the new plasterboard. Are there any rules of thumb which can be applied or calculations made. I had intended to use 12.5mm plasterboard but now feel that 9mm board may be more suitable. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I can't see a problem with this only that you can't see the cable wire above when screwing the 75mm x 25mm flat onto the ceiling.

There're many ways of doing this,
Personally I would take the ceiling down as you got to get some plasterboards to put back up again anyway,messy I know but easier with the wiring.I'm guessing that you've a flat roof as you cannot access to wiring from the top and also thinking can you not run the wire inside the ceiling once you cut out the holes ?

I think that the downlighters need air-flow as they get hot, unless you already got air-vent in the roof section.Best to check with the electrician's first on this forum.

You can get LED bulbs to replace halogen - no heat problems.

Does anybody have experience of how well they work?

Sponsored Links
If you can try to get some fixings into the wall as well as the joists I think that will hold it I did same thing in my kitchen whitch is 6m by 4.5m and its solid. About the downlighters needing airflow as long as you dont place anything directly on the lights you will be O.K
My advice is to After you stud the ceiling outaround about where you are havin the downlighters smash a hole in the old ceiling This will be very messy Clip the cable to the ceiling to the position of the lights leave a bit of slack so you can drop it through the new plaster board. Work out on your new plasterboard where you need to cut out for the downlighters. Then connect up and hey-presto.

Good Look
Chris

ban-all-sheds said:
You can get LED bulbs to replace halogen - no heat problems.

Does anybody have experience of how well they work?

My MR16 LEDs came from ultraleds Subjectively about the same brightness as a 15w halogen, but the colour is different, a bluish white, a bit like bright moonlight. Wonderful for reading by. Consume about 1.2W (so saving electricity) and don't blow every few months.

Slightly warm to touch after having been on for an hour or so.

Also available in warm white and a 240V G10 version, but I haven't tried these. Subjectively warm white is not as bright as cool white, but it might be more suitable for a kitchen if you want the food to look better.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the thought, but to tell the truth I've not been waiting for 3 years for an answer....

:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back