Fan and Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a fan and a separate low voltage light for the bathroom. I want both to come on when the light is switched via the pull-cord. Both items will be located in the attic. The fan requires ELN wires and the transformer just needs N and L. The bathroom light is on a loop with all the other upstairs lights.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
take note of existing wiring and put a junction box there, where old light was, connect to mains side of transformer, and fan

When I made enquires about low voltage lights being run off a
transformer with a fan on the same circuit I was told by the shop that the
fan would be an inductive load on the transformer and could damage the transformers.Is this correct.

Sponsored Links
the fan is not connected to the transformer so the statment is irelevant

How ever, anything wth a coil is an inductive load, fans have a motor = inductive load, guess what a transformer has , a coil so it too is an inductive load.

The only "problem" is that of an electronic transformer. it may be suseptable to "spikes" (back emf) from other inductive loads, but as its only a small fan in this case i would not worry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back