shower light and fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, ive recently installed downlights and a shower/light fan in my bathroom the problem is ......the light on the fan works but the fan isnt coming on when i switch the lights on ...they all run of the one pull cord..this has me baffled .
I have a transformer in a jb with L and N going to the fan ..all in all theres 4 connectors in the fan 2 for the transformer 12v and 2 for the live and neutral power....im proppa stuck here

Sponsored Links
Hi all, ive recently installed downlights and a shower/light fan in my bathroom the problem is ......the light on the fan works but the fan isnt coming on when i switch the lights on ...they all run of the one pull cord..this has me baffled .
I have a transformer in a jb with L and N going to the fan ..all in all theres 4 connectors in the fan 2 for the transformer 12v and 2 for the live and neutral power....im proppa stuck here
Is it a timer or a standard on/off fan?
What make and model is it?
Transformers tend to fry themselves when you put them in jb's!
In fact how did you manage to fit it in a jb must be a big jb?
Sounds like you have wired it wrong and possibly fried the extractor fan.
Did you follow the manufacturers instructions?

its a timer fan,
make; manrose 100m inline showerlite extractor fan

There is two wires from showerlite into transformer (for the light which works) and theres a L switch live and N in the fan itself..ive connected L and N from fan into jb and L and N from transformer and from jb L N earth which goes to next light..hope this makes sense ..i think i need to upload some photos...

There is two wires from showerlite into transformer (for the light which works) and theres a L switch live and N in the fan itself..ive connected L and N from fan into jb and L and N from transformer and from jb L N earth which goes to next light..hope this makes sense
Nope - I can't follow that.

Where have you connected Fan SL ?

Have you connected 12V fan to mains or
mains fan to 12V transformer ?

Sponsored Links
As EFL states - for a timer fan you will need to have the switched live connected to the fan as this activates the fan.
You should have three core & earth cable - one core from the switch live, one from the permanent live and one from the neutral.
If you have only two core switch live and neutral then you cannot use the timer.
Put the switch live in the SL at the fan and the neutral in the N - the fan should then work as a simple on/off from the light - provided you have connected everything else up correctly.
By the way your photographs are too small and blurry to really give us a clue.

Where have you connected Fan SL ?

Have you connected 12V fan to mains or
mains fan to 12V transformer ?[/quote]

I havent ,cos it says just connect to L and N .because the SL is in the main ceiling rose ,i only have one pull cord to switch the lights and fan on.
There is L N from fan to trans and L N from trans to jb.

Following the manufacturers instructions.
You will need to have T&E live and neutral available.
This should pass through a fused connection unit rated at 3Amps then to a junction box.
At the junction box -
allocate terminal one as permanent live - connect the incoming brown/red cable to this terminal.
allocate terminal two as neutral - connect the incoming blue/black cable to this terminal.
allocate terminal three as switch live.
allocate terminal four as earth.

You will need three core and earth cable.
At the jb connect the brown cable to the permanent live and run this cable to the permanent live at the fan.
At the jb connect the black cable to the neutral and run this cable to the neutral at the fan.
At the jb connect the grey cable (sleeved brown) to the switch live and run this cable to the SL at the fan.
You now need T&E for your cable to the pull switch.
at the jb connect the brown cable to the permanent live and run this to the Common terminal on your pull switch.
at the jb connect the blue cable (with brown sleeve)to the switch live and run this to the L1 terminal on your pull switch.
You now need another T&E cable to connect to the transformer.
Using this cable
at the jb connect the brown cable to the switch live and run this to the SL on the transformer.
at the jb connect the blue cable to the neutral and run this to the N on the transormer.

Connect your light to the transformer.
Make sure you connect the earths together at each point.

If your ceiling rose is effectively acting as your junction box then you need to follow the instructions from this point..

You will need three core and earth cable.
At the ceiling rose(cr) connect the brown cable to the permanent live and run this cable to the permanent live at the fan.
At the ceiling rose connect the black cable to the neutral and run this cable to the neutral at the fan.
At the ceiling rose connect the grey cable (sleeved brown) to the switch live and run this cable to the SL at the fan.

If the next is already in place then ignore....
You now need T&E for your cable to the pull switch.
at the (cr) connect the brown cable to the permanent live and run this to the Common terminal on your pull switch.
at the (cr) connect the blue cable (with brown sleeve)to the switch live and run this to the L1 terminal on your pull switch.

If the next is already in place then ignore.....
You now need another T&E cable to connect to the transformer.
Using this cable
at the (cr) connect the brown cable to the switch live and run this to the SL on the transformer.
at the (cr) connect the blue cable to the neutral and run this to the N on the transormer.

Connect your showerlite to the transformer.
Make sure you connect the earths together at each point.

Hi all, ive recently installed downlights and a shower/light fan in my bathroom
Given your appalling lack of understanding, how on earth did you convince your LABC that you would be able to comply with Part P?

riveralt said:
A whole load of instructions to put this wire in that hole, aimed at someone he knows doesn't have a clue, and who is trying to do electrical work without a genuine understanding of why each conductor goes where.
You should edit them out - it might not be too late to prevent encouraging this guy to do anything except get an electrician.

Hi all, ive recently installed downlights and a shower/light fan in my bathroom
Given your appalling lack of understanding, how on earth did you convince your LABC that you would be able to comply with Part P?

riveralt said:
A whole load of instructions to put this wire in that hole, aimed at someone he knows doesn't have a clue, and who is trying to do electrical work without a genuine understanding of why each conductor goes where.
You should edit them out - it might not be too late to prevent encouraging this guy to do anything except get an electrician.

Thankyou riveralt for your help...MEANWHILE THE WHOLE POINT OF MY ASKING WAS BECAUSE I WAS STUCK ..I KNEW IT WAS A MINOR THING ...THIS IS A FORUM FOR PEOPLE THAT ASK FOR HELP...SO IF YOU DONT WANT TO HELP KEEP YOUR SARKY COMMENTS TO YOURSELF"BAN ALL SHEDS" AND GO AND HIDE IN A PLUG SOCKET !!.....CHEERS RIVERALT I DONE IT STRAIGHT AWAY..IF ANYONE WANT HELP ON GROUNDWORKS 18 YRS OR TELECOMS 5YR JUST ASK .

It's not that I don't want to help.

It's that I do not, will not, lead people by the nose to do electrical work which they do not understand. And I mean genuinely, fully, 100% understand.

As far as I'm concerned nobody should do that, and riveralt was in the wrong.

If you actually understood what you were trying to do then you would not have got stuck - clearly it was not a minor thing for you.

And you've broken the law, BTW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back