Bathroom FAN and Light switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks,

I have a pull cord in my bathroom that switches on both the light and the fan. Problem I have is that every time we use it to put the light on, the fan comes on... and the fan noise is winding me up. Please ... whats is the best way to separate these two controls? I dont want to have another switch outside of the bathroom.... should I have 2 pull cords? Any suggestions welcome

Sponsored Links
Often there is a fan isolator,
12319_P

Trouble is that a lot of sparks, including the one who did my 3 shower/bathrooms wired the both the fan and light through the isolator. Switch the isolator off and you isolate both.

Trouble is that a lot of sparks, including the one who did my 3 shower/bathrooms wired the both the fan and light through the isolator. Switch the isolator off and you isolate both.
Which eliminates the main reason for the isolator. Ie being able to safely maintain the fan with the lights still in operation.

it may be possible to rewire the isolator switch. Like many things, it depends …

Sponsored Links
It's not my house, we rent, so not going to bother. If something goes wrong we call the landlord and he gets it sorted quite quickly. (Mind you, he has known my wife for over 30 years so knows she/we are good tenants. LOL)

thanks guys, the isolate is in the loft. I think I want a switch that has 2 pull cords, one for the fan and the other for the lights. Does anything like this exist?

30 years!!! wow. Conny, ever thought about buying your own place??

Thanks Andy, but can you get a fan isolater and light switch in the same unit?

thanks! not great news. , does that mean I need a pull cord for the lights, and another separate pull cord for the fan? I'm not keen on this as it isn't going to look good.

You do not need to use pull cords at all.

You can have a regular light switch on the wall inside a bathroom, providing it is outside the “zones”.
So have a 2-gang switch. One for lights, one for fan.

Thank you, I'm going to get my electrician in to see what he can do... thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back