fan broken on baxi solo3(impellar i think it is called)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
baxi solo 3 60pl open vented system(pumped).boiler heats up for about 5 minutes,radiators get warm then flame goes out.electronically sparks up again ,lights ok again then flame goes out again after 30seconds.
this cycle just keeps on going so i switch it off.(as it does not sound to healthy with it combusting so much)
it is only 2 years old.
i opened the box and a small fan dropped out.there was only 2 blades left of the fan on top of a small electric motor which i take it drives the flue fan.
does this small fan have any bearing to what is happening with my boiler.
does it affect the pressure switch beside which in turn is cutting of the gas.
bear with me,as you can obviously tell i am only guessing
thanks

doogie

Sponsored Links
don't worry about the impellor (the plastic one) most fall off and few replacement fans have them fitted.....not saying it isn't the fan but is your pump running?

The purpose of the plastic impeller on the end of the motor shaft is to cool the fan motor. Without it, fan life will be shorter (or maybe very short). If Mr Baxi had not thought it necessary, he would not have fitted it!

Sponsored Links
the fan cooling impeller is not essential. your fan shouldnt be affected too much. the problem your getting sounds like it could be the pcb (printed circuit board). the flame is not being recognised. this is done by and ac current going up one electrode and being passed through the flame, this is then converted to a dc current which the pcb recognises. the boards arnt cheap though. as i might have one in the shed.....

MOD 2

in your profile please jas

The above problem is exactly the one I have with a Baxi Solo 3 60PF (6 years old), even down to the little fan, (which cools the transformer above the main fan).

However, the Corgi man sent of for a new PCB, (on Baxi's advice), and installed it on Monday, only to find the same problem.

Boiler starts up and heats nicely until water at required temperature, (whether CH or HW), and then powers down, only to refire within seconds.

Original PCB re-installed, while Corgi man has gone off to query Baxi again. Meanwhile I have Googled all over and found this site.

Just reading up on here I have checked the pump, working fine at all speeds, the 3-way valve, the wall mounted thermostat, the cylinder thermostat and have come to the (non-expert) conclusion that it is the little red flow control thermistor on the flow pipe.

It is securely on. Have photo if necessary.

Please help as it is very expensive taking time off work to accompany Corgiman on voyage of discovery.

TIA

PS: It is my birthday today and I could do with some good fortune! ;)

Have the pump and boiler wires somehow been wired in together causing the boiler to start up when it tries to overrun the pump?

sounds like the a/p switch dropping out ,have a/p tubes checked and fan venturi/fan blades cleaned also flue checked may be the restrictor ring needs removing

The small fan is there to cool the fan motor - (as the solo 2 fans overheated) you can buy a new one from e.g. HRPC (partcenter) for the ridiculous price of about a fiver

Air pressure switch ? don't make me laugh - overheating, flame sensing problem or pcb

CORGIs eh ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back