fan light fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me what is the best fixings i can use to fit up a fan light when i cant screw it into the beam?

Also not being able to place a piece of wood under the floor boards upstairs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the fittings probably some type of rawl plug I spotted your post and I am wondering does the room your putting the fan light in have a gas fire?

A fan light can drastically reduce the ammount of "pull" the flue produces which is dangerous. Sorry I dont know a great deal on thie issue perhaps someone else can larify the situatiion. But if thers no fire theres no problem

learner123 said:
Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me what is the best fixings i can use to fit up a fan light when i cant screw it into the beam? Thanks

Do you mean a light with fan that extracts air or a fan that has large exposed blades that rotate around the lamp.

If the second one then you really need to fit it to a timber mounting as the vibration will weaken any fixture set in plaster or plasterboard.

The simplest solution is a plate of timber fitted to the ceiling by being screwed to two joists. There are various decorated plates such as kitchen cupboard doors ( not the thin or chips board ones ).

Another neater solution is to cut a 6 inch slot and slide the longest piece of timber you can onto the top of the plaster. then slide it back over the slot and screw the fitting to that. It spreads the lweigh and vibration over a larger area of plaster board. A 7 inch round decor may be needed to fully cover the slot. There is a lot more to it than that. If you want to try it I can provide more details when Ihave more time.

A little bit off topic perhaps (?) learner, but Rob is quite correct if you want to install a ceiling fan in a room with a gas fire or back boiler (especially an older one) you should apparently get it tested for 'spillage'. There are quite a few hospitilisations every year which are put down to this, no-one really knows how many but estimates suggest around 20p.a. this does not include those who just get 'headaches'.

see also: www.dti.gov.uk/files/file11332.pdf for further details and (I believe) the relevant CORGI bulletin. Might be some later ones, I can have a proper look through my books if anyone is really interested.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guy's

I do mean a fan that has large exposed blades that rotate around the lamp.

The room does not have a gas fire only central heating and an electric fire (single bar element).

i want to put them in the front room but the flooring is hardboard right through.

I didn't know if there was some kind of raw plug for example i could use.

Thanks for the info about gas fire's, THAT i will remember, A lesson learnt,
cheers.

Thanks again

You will need a substantial fixing.This will need to be either screwed directly to a joist or to a wooden plate which is either above or below the ceiling, which is in turn fixed to the joists.

You don't want to de-capitate anyone ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back