Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Constant puncture..... wheel... ;)
michelintweel2.jpg

:eek:

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:

DETROIT : Michelin is highlighting three revolutionary breakthrough technologies at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit.
Michelin Airless, and Michelin Tweel: Tyres without air
Based on two different technologies and manufactured using composite technologies and new materials, these non-pneumatic products could make punctures a thing of the past and eliminate the need to check tyre pressure. They also use fewer raw materials and are retreadable.

Michelin Tweel is the fusion of the tyre and the wheel with the potential to transform mobility. Available now for lower-speed, lower-weight carrying vehicles, Tweel is in the prototype stage for passenger car applications. Tweel delivers the benefits of pneumatic radial tyre performance while dramatically increasing lateral stiffness, which affects handling, cornering and responsiveness. Additionally, Tweel has suspension-like characteristics that can simplify and in some applications eliminate the need for a separate vehicle suspension.
GetElement

Michelin Airless enables vehicles to run safely and comfortably because its elastic characteristics are controlled longitudinally, transversally and vertically. A car doesn't have to stop even if one or more of the radial bands break or are damaged. The Michelin Airless is being tested on passenger cars and motorcycles, but could be fitted to other vehicles as well.
GetElement

Michelin Active Wheel: A new way to transmit movement. Michelin Active Wheel is an integrated module comprised of a conventional tyre, plus an active electric suspension, a disc brake and an electric motor to provide traction and much of the braking power. Its compact size offers automotive engineers considerable design flexibility.
GetElement

Look out tyre, your days MAY be numbered .. About time too !!

Interesting site ..... http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
Blimey ... Is there anything else to know about tyres?
;) :D :D

cool idea, why haven't they thought of the elastic idea before? Good idea though - suspending the hub by elastic struts. It might have trouble catching on at first - the rubber tyre is such an old and well-used technology.

Sponsored Links
If it catches on with the manufacturers .. there will probably be no option ... But, what about the tyre industry? ..
Then, tis on borrowed time, tyre disposal etc ..
I like the 'Active Wheel' etc.
In the 'Brake bible' site .. a new disc brake concept from Canada looks good too ... full contact discs for all vehicles.

;)

When I first read this the first thing I did was think "I bet this is Michelin". Sure enough it was! (in case it sounds like I'm really unobservant, I was reading it on an article elsewhere! :LOL: )

Why? Well, look at the automotive industry in general, by nation. Germany, from an early age, earned a reputation for build quality and reliability. Italy earned a reputation for temperamental, but spirited and lovable cars. The US, to this day, is associated with cars that are big, heavy, and don't go round corners. The UK is associated with small, open-topped sportscars that DO go round corners.

So what is France famed for? Fruitless innovation. Take Citroen. The whole hydropneumatic suspension thing. I fully believe the citroen buffs who say "It's great!"... but I'll point out that all your cars are sprung with coils and torsion bars still, and even Citroen has almost entirely phased it out in their range.

Unfortunately French automotive innovations usually end up overcomplicating the simple stuff to the extent that any added value is soon lost in the complexity of it all.

It is only fitting that they tried to reinvent the wheel! :LOL:

Oh, I dunno, good for get away cars / twoking. Try and get a stinger on that copper :LOL: ;)

wonder if it will stand up to hitting the kerb or a big pothole?

Poor old Michelin:-
Fifty years ago, Michelin invented the radial tyre and there is no question that radial tyre technology will continue as the standard for a long time to come.
2005 championships in Formula One, World Rally Championship, MotoGP and the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Michelin embraces all four 2005 J.D. Power & Associates Awards for OE tyre Customer Satisfaction at the North American International Auto Show.

Does this make them the most successful tyre developers? Then good on them for being innovative ... And doing the right thing after the US GP debacle ....
Tweel performance can be tuned independently of each other, which is a significant change from conventional tires. This means that vertical stiffness ( which primarily affects ride comfort ) and lateral stiffness ( which affects handling and cornering) can both be optimized, enabling new performance levels not possible for with normal pneumatic tires.

The Tweel prototype, demonstrated on the Audi 4, is within 5% of the rolling resistance and mass levels of current pneumatic tyres. That translates to within 1% of the fuel economy of the OE fitment. Additionally, Michelin has increased the lateral stiffness by factor of five, making the prototype unusually responsive in its handling. The tread will last two to three times as long as today's radial tires, Michelin say, and when it does wear thin, it can be retreaded.
The emboldenment is mine.... crucial characteristics with tyres, separate them, and boy you are going places.

Trials on 'skidsters' ... For kendor . Also being trialed by military.
watermark.php

;)

What I great idea, why couldnt I have thought of that?

It will be interesting to see who opposes them, I bet they wont live up to some safety regualtion somewhere.

Ooops !
This type of thing may need sorting, then again, may not be a problem.
TweelProblem-2.jpg

:D :D

Sponsored Links
Back