FAO FREDFLINTSTONE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Fred u seem to be following the same path as me .I did a 6 week plastering course in November last year .Since then i have worked as a plasterer for a local builder but as he was only paying £250 a week i decided to leave and go it alone. I have only been on my own about a week and have just advertised in the local rag for a month.
You seem to have a few jobs going on is it word of mouth or adverts. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Hi Brist,

Sorry for delay replying, last minute weekend away to our caravan in Wales so haven't checked in since Thursday.

Similar path to yours yes although I was managing a call centre until recently when I was made redundant (but wanting to make a break anyway so all worked out well!). I did a one week basic course in October and then did some practice at home. I wasn't confident enough to go it alone though because I wasn't fast enough so in the first week after redundancy I did an advanced skimming course which gave me all the confidence I needed.

I had the benefit of redundancy money which allowed me time to build up business without worrying about income. I haven't actually advertised apart from one ad in a local rag which returned sweet FA. I got some cards printed (nice shiny double sided ones) but decided against leaflets.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a small village where the majority are self employed which has allowed me to network in the local over a pint or two each evening. This in itself has spread the word a little and a few jobs have arisen as a result of my daily two pints. In addition, I've done several freebies for peope with useful contacts. This has been brilliant because they've seen my results and made recommendations to people based upon this. I've also dropped my cards off at local builders etc hich has also brought in a bit of business.

All in all this has resuted in about three days work a week for the last month or two although it did take a couple of months for it to get to this stage. Some of the freebies have even resulted in offers from some larger building firms for regular work which I've so far turned down - I'd much rather contract out on a daily rate which they've so far accepted.

You're in a good position because you've worked for a spread which gives you additional knowlege of plastering. You'll get there but it takes time and patience.

Regards

Fred.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back