Advice needed on how to Repair some Plaster

if it was me i would do it myself even if i dident know how to plaster i would give it a go, i used to be a council tennant and i remember the standard of workmanship the council workers used to do in my house i was forever complaining about it apparently they have so many jobs a day and are alloted so much time for each job so each job was rushed resulting in bad workmanship im not saying all council workers are bad but i used to get some right numptys from the council doing work in my house i used to dread them doing work in my house so much i gave up i ended up doing things myself rather than have a rushed and boched job.
Last year i was offered some work skimming kitchen refurbs for a company that works for the council i found myself skimming boards that have not been tacked properly ( even held on with gripfill in some places)and also i was skimming on blown plaster which should have been hacked off after the 3rd day i realized i was becoming one of those council workers i used to dread and told them it wasent for me, i like to take pride in my work, the work i was doing there is nothing i could be proud of,
that little job you have there is not very hard to do and its well within an average diyers capablitys give it a go you may even make a better job of it than them
ps not intending to offend any council workers here as ive seen at least 3 good ones that i would let work in my house out of dozens

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Well today i spent time on repairing the plaster above the window and also the celling area near the roof hatch where it leaked last year. Took me a good few hrs and alot of mess but i am pleased witht he outcome and all tools clean now that i purchased for it.

For the part above the window decied to PVA the wall and use one coat plaster.

For the celling area replaced plaster board then re plaster using the one coat stuff also.

Can anyone tell me how long i have to wait before i size and paper the new plaster area that has had one coat plaster on.

Took before and after pics so will upload sunday

Chris

leave it as long as possible, i would guess a week or two to be sure it has dried out thoughroughly. Well done and i am glad your happy with your effort, i find it very rewarding myself.

Sponsored Links
Will take pics in morning subject to it still being on the wall and celling, In all i spent £15 to repair it all and a few cheap tools as well

Chris

remember to lightly oil your tools if they arn't stainless so they will be good for next time, even better to lightly oil them and the wrap them in a lightly oiled rag and tied up in a plastic bag so you font get a mess everywhere.

Well here is my pics that i said i would post of my first time plastering and reapair on the celling i carried out also.

Before
4558754142_7c1aceec62.jpg

After
4571786408_51b5074636.jpg

After
4571786984_8716a887f0.jpg

Celling Repair

Before
4571155149_92e61bd52c.jpg

Before
4571155557_37e8da595b.jpg

After
4571787464_af8a988b64.jpg

After
4571789332_58e3c193de.jpg

you also have (had) cracking between wall and ceiling. This is likely to come back (though I have had some success applying expanding foam from above). The best permanent cure I know is to apply coving. It looks neat when finished to match the ceiling and in some houses adds a touch of class.

I am a householder not a pro

I thought I could see a crack or gap between ceiling and wall. Isn't there one?

4558125555_d305a2ac96.jpg

I think there was some cracks on another part of the room around the top but it was due to the council pulling down the old celling tiles before we moved in and they took them down with no care at all

The wall is going to be paper anyway so should be ok
Chris

nice job chris the council wouldent have done much better and you would have had to wait, also u have what is called job satisfaction just wait till it dries out then apply your wallpapergood job m8 :)

Cheers for the feedback people, I am plased with it and keep checking it to see if its still ok. Problem is now i have to wait 2 weeks so taking my time on the prep work within the room.

Was worried that i had put on the plaster to thin. What is the chances of it cracking etc when i sand.

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back