FAO ninebob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been reading the posts from Feb 05 RE. your trip to the wrong side of the law.

Just curious . . . why do Hilton group insist the general manager is named on the premises license? The whole licensing system is a lot more flexible nowadays and you can have as many license holders in one premises as you like, ANY of whom can be named premises supervisor on the premises license (only one at a time though) so surely you could be GM and not be named on the license (this happens a lot at our stores, since managers get moved about often)? It seems a bit mean of them to discontinue your employment over this, TBH, since there is no law about it, even on the old system.

Hope things are still going ok in your life! ;) :D

Sponsored Links
You gotta laugh though haven't you - did ninebob teach you to drive crafty?

keyplayer said:
You gotta laugh though haven't you - did ninebob teach you to drive crafty?
And what on earth is that meant to mean? :eek:

I have only caused one accident and that was down to severely reduced visibility (and only one person slightly hurt).

The other accident, which was much more severe (5 hurt, 3 long term, 2 cars written off), was NOT in ANY WAY my fault.

And I have NEVER and NEVER WILL drink and drive, especially after reading ninebob's story. Shocking stuff.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
I have just been reading the posts from Feb 05 RE. your trip to the wrong side of the law.

Just curious . . . why do Hilton group insist the general manager is named on the premises license? ...
Just accountability, I suppose. It makes sense for the person in charge of the hotel to have the responsibility for the good conduct on the premises re alcohol.

That in itself wasn't the reason I had to resign though - it would certainly have blocked my path up the career ladder to GM, but at the time I was working alternating shifts as assistant manager on days and overall manager on nights.

The main reason was that as part of company policy, managers are expected to lead by example and therefore be able to perform any of the other tasks within the hotel (obvious exception being the skilled job of the chef). That means occasionally doing "back to the floor" stuff like waiting tables, setting up conference rooms, manning reception and, critically, valet parking of guest's cars.

Thus, the opinion was that it was not feasible to continue in a management position whilst unable to do one of the "bread and butter" jobs around the place.

poshman said:
any luck jobseeking ninebob :?:
Yes and no!

Obviously I'm ideally looking to work at the same level I was before, and nothing suitable has come up just yet. I don't want to take just anything, because I believe several short-term jobs can look quite bad on a CV.

I'm not panicking yet because I do have a little money in reserve and Shaun is working (in fact, he's just in the process of moving jobs himself to something better).

However, my friendly local pub landlord has given me a part-time job doing bar work and DJing a few nights a week. It's not much financially, of course, but I'm really enjoying myself doing it, and I will almost certainly continue it as a 2nd job once something permanent does come up!

ninebob said:
However, my friendly local pub landlord has given me a part-time job doing bar work and DJing a few nights a week. It's not much financially, of course, but I'm really enjoying myself doing it, and I will almost certainly continue it as a 2nd job once something permanent does come up!
Also great 'networking' opportunity to get first leads on new jobs, working in a pub I always think.

Back