FAO - The831Bunny

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, i tried to PM but im not allowed as were not friends.

I had 2 boiler men out today who both agree with your diags in my thread at:
//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/is-my-diverter-valve-off-to-the-boiler-parts-heaven.329620/
that the primary HEX is all blocked up and thats causing my noisy boiler.

So the second guy who came out i tasked with replacing it, he went off to the merchants and brought back part number 064714.

Took it out the box, looked at it and said no its the wrong one.

Left and never came back, stil lwaiting to hear from him!!!!

I have found a picture of the HEX in my boiler:
http://www.vaillant.co.uk/stepone2/data/downloads/ca/42/00/turboMAXspareparts.pdf
Page 5 - the "tails" pointing down off the HEX look like that and back right is a sensor connector.

The one he brought back and said was wrong looks like:
http://www.uk-plumbing.com/vaillant-heat-exchanger-24kw-064714-p-32600.html
Just rounded down tails with no connector for sensors, but i can see sensor connection on the 2 pipes that come with it according to that picture??

Did Vaillant change the design of the HEX?

Does 064714 that looks like the second link fit my boiler?
As all images of 064714 i find look like it, different to mine.

Boiler details from the sticker off the back door panel:

Serial - Nr. 00003065010010094300
Service-Nr. 94826210000010000007
Turbomax VUW GB 242-3
TURBOmax Pro 24E
G.C No 47 044 10

Kindest Regards
Chris Flossway

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris

What an ordeal! The heat exchanger obtained from the merchants (064714) will fit your 24Kw boiler fine! You have to replace the two copper pipes that come with the heat exchanger in the box and transfer the NTC sensors to the new pipes. Both sensors now screw into the vertical pipes, NOT 1 on the flow pipe, 1 in the back left of the heat exchanger. You are quite correct, the picture in the spares book shows the original design, but lists the 2 copper tubes and the correct boiler version (242-3) :rolleyes:

The original heat exchanger on a pro is copper coloured on the fins and tubes, but the replacement part comes treated with a silver coating. You should have everything you need in the box :eek: Did he actually try and fit it??

Hope that helps

edit: just so you are clear this involves removing & refitting the combustion chamber, the fan and flue hood, as well as the main heat exchanger which only a gas safe engineer can do I'm afraid. That said, he hasn't got off to a good start has he :rolleyes: :eek:

Congratulations on giving all the relevant information! We usually have to squeeze it out over several days in little drips!

Tony

The831bunny,

Thank you for taking time to respond.

No he didn't even try to fit it, he looked at it and just said its bit the right one and won't fit, (whet that bee colour or shape that he came to the conclusion I dinner know)

He just said he was going back to the merchants and will be back, but never came back!!!

Have tried calling but still can't Get hold of him,. Rather puzzling.

I dint think ill be using him after this, ill search my local area for somebody else, he had not filled me with any confidence really.
I checked the gas safe website before he came around and he is registered, he obviously doesn't fancy the job?!!!

Thankyou for clearing it up for me, at least I can pre warn thenext guy if he is not familiar with vaillant that it is the correct part.

Sponsored Links
Are they all silver coated now bunny?

New guy has just picked it up from the merchants and dropped it off at mine ready for the morning to fit and its brass coloured?

Thanks

Shovel%20ready.jpg

Next post will be..."well the guy fitted it but the boiler now leaks and it won't fire up , any ideas 831?".............. :LOL: :LOL:

Next post will be to answer the presumptuous and inaccurate posts......

Why did he leave it?

I told him about the last guy saying it was the wrong one and disappearing on me and asked if he could pop it in on his way home so I could see it and he outed to leave it with me to show he would be back in the morning.

I will be fitting it myself??

again, presumptiously incorrect.
Tomorrow at 830 I will be leaving my house to get in the car to drive to Gloucester hospital to see a nEurologist at 10am.
At 9 am the boiler man will come and my partner will allow him in to repair the boiler.

Tomorrow I will upload a picture if both my hospital appointment letter and his job sheet when he is finished. that might give u all something to talk about then, rather than posting inaccurate rubbish accusing me if breaking the law.

Thought this was a help forum, not a courtroom.

No one said you were breaking the law :?: :confused:

Good luck at the (E)Urologist... I went to that clinic in Gloucester Hospital.... a fair while ago... say no more ;).

We're a cynical bunch... and if someone posts a series of events like that... expect the received responses... Have heard much more plausible sequences of events to cover much dafter attempts at DIY.

(Urologist jokes withheld in case it is something other than a bout of the clap).

Good Luck.

No one said you were breaking the law :?: :confused:

Good luck at the (E)Urologist... I went to that clinic in Gloucester Hospital.... a fair while ago... say no more ;).

We're a cynical bunch... and if someone posts a series of events like that... expect the received responses... Have heard much more plausible sequences of events to cover much dafter attempts at DIY.

(Urologist jokes withheld in case it is something other than a bout of the clap).

Good Luck.

It was the Nuerologist i went to see - for nerve damage in my arm. So most certianly not a dose of the clap! :)

Well i am pleased to say that my boiler is now fixed - took him 2 hours and releaved me £264 but at least now my boiler is quiet and works. No more early wake up calls when the Mrs gets up at 5am to go to work and gets in the shower as the boiler is right below our Bedroom floor!

He said he blew through the HEX when it come out and it still seemed quite clear but there was obviously something in it as its now quiet as a mouse!

He has left it for me to try and clear through to see how badly blocked it was so ill have a go at that this weekend, He suggested boiling it with some ds-40 granules and loads of black £%$" should come out!?

Either way im happy.

Neurologist said my nerves appear fine and my boiler is fixed. Although my pocket is now a lot lighter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back