Valliant Turbomax Plus 828e intermittent F.22 NEW EASY FIX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,
Being a long time "sufferer" of the elusive Turbomax F22 Fault I've set up an account here just to post my as of yet seemingly un-published fix! Posting it here because over the years this site keeps popping up as the closest anyone's got to suggesting but rarely completely resolving the (my) Valiant F.22 fault so rather than append to an old thread I'm bumping a new one.

To avoid any "thou shalt not enter the burner box" we'll just skip past my replacement of Flow/Return NTC sensors, the cheap ones from e-bay and full-priced Valliant ones thinking the former may have been false economy, but I'll mention the Valliant D&G £299 insurance policy 2 years ago that saw at least 5 different Valiant engineers replace the primary Heat Exchanger (blocked), DHW plate heat exchanger, diverter valve, pump head, burner box insulation (destroyed when engineer replaced main HEX) to give me a nearly new boiler (but still faulty when winter came around again).

Having had so many main components replaced under insurance there's no way I was going to write this formerly immensely reliable non-condensing boiler off so my quest to resolve the intermittent Turbomax F22 fault carried on over the last 4 months.

I should also mention I replaced the boiler service valves which weren't isolating, found the expansion vessel to be dead (which was almost certainly the cause of the original HEX blockage not picked up by valliant engineers) so replaced that but to do so had to remove the old flue (only to find it also severely mutilated by said Valiant engineer when she replaced HEX and burner insulation) so a new flue was fitted... oh, and the leaking PRV, filling-loop valve and auto-bypass valve... Love that all these parts are easy to change and still available for a reasonable price!

So... back to the F22 fault that started randomly creeping back in, only things left I'd read on here not tried were the somewhat expensive PCB replacement and a burner pressure tweak, but then I happened upon a youtube vid. of a boiler engineer fixing an intermittent problem on a newer valliant that saw the DHW temp rapidly rising on display (causing lockout) but actual water temp. not reflecting display temp. He pointed out that the NTC sensors are single wire and use boiler pipework as an "earth" return to PCB via boiler chassis. After 18 years, the boiler pipes and contact points were hardly prime electrical conductors and on the return sensor there was a good 60 to 70 ohm resistance so I simply used electrical earth straps to bond freshly polished flow and return pipes where they emerge from the bottom of the burner box, directly back to the PCB earth point on the boiler chassis.

Switched boiler off and back on presuming there might be some kind of initial NTC resistance calibration carried out by PCB and it's been running perfectly, DHW is back on and the boiler hasn't had an F22 or any other lock-out since.
Here's to another 20 years of fault-free, service free operation and if there are any of these beauties left in the wild, hopefully the motivation to inspire others to try this extremely simple fix that doesn't even require opening the burner box!

Boiler Earth.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am really thankful to jim-rat.271480 for this thread.
I've run into similar problems with the TurboMax Plus 828E at the local sports club.
We were having intermittent cutouts of the heating system which we originally handled by powering off/on the Combi boiler.
As the F22 errors became more frequent we had to rectify the situation.
Our Gas Service Engineer saw the F22 triggered 3 times during a service but he recommended replacement of the boiler because it is now obsolete and that parts are not available.
When Googling "Vaillant F22" the error was said to be caused by low water pressure so we flushed the system and bled out all the air in the rads to no avail.
I finally got a little more model specific with my searches and found the vaillant_47-044-04_thermocompact.pdf manual online.
According to the manual the F22 error occurs because of "Low water or no water in the appliance" which is caused by:
1. No water in system
2. Pump defective
3. Pump lead defective
Cause no.1 was not plausible so I ended up managing to purchase what must have been one of the last available Vaillant pumps for this model online. Installation of the new pump made no difference.
So, I then Googled again for "Valliant Turbomax Plus 828e F22 error" and I found this thread. I carried out the earth bonding as recommended, without first measuring the resistance between the NTC sensors and the chassis grounding point. That didn't work either.
Still working on a bad connection theory, I reseated the connectors on the NTC sensors several times to hopefully improve the connection between the connector and the spade terminal on the sensors.
The TurboMax Plus has 3 NTC sensors, one each on the flow and return and the third is called the Warmstart -NTC which is located in the burner box.
Having found my way into the burner box, after turning off the gas supply and powering down the boiler, I found the Warmstart -NTC sensor at location 2 as in the attached diagram. As can be clearly seen, the spade connector is well corroded but it still had some clean contact with the NTC sensor spade lug but because of the nature of the NTC sensor calibration within the Vaillant controller the readings were probably changing uncharacteristically as the water heated/cooled.
So, one week later, I can say that the replacement of the spade connector has solved the F22 error on this boiler.

Attachments

• IMG_20240227_132956.jpg
    IMG_20240227_132956.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240312_125423.jpg
    IMG_20240312_125423.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240319_091009.jpg
    IMG_20240319_091009.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240319_091916.jpg
    IMG_20240319_091916.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Attaching the Vaillant Installation and Service Manual for:
TURBOmax Plus 824/2E, 828/2E
THERMOcompact 615/2E, 620/2E, 624/2E, 628/2E

Hopefully this upload complies with site policies...

Attachments

• vaillant_47-044-04_thermocompact.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 17
Sponsored Links
Hopefully this upload complies with site policies...
Uploading manuals isn’t prohibited by the site. Seeking or offering diy gas work is - and you need to interpret what constitutes gas work.

As for OP - Valiant engineer’s are wannabe Vaillant engineers
Laughing emoji 3d vector. Emoticon isolated on white background ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back