How many turns of PFTE on radiator tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a radiator in my house (not the first time) and when it comes to installing the tails I never know how to make sure there is the right amount of PTFE; the tails I use are not conical and when screwed in all the way (without ptfe) they are still a bit loose
It’s the kind that you install using an adjustable wrench, not a hex key
I first tried with 25 turns of PTFE and it was leaking on one side; I took the radiator off, put some jointing compound on the female thread and then I put the tail back with 25 turns of new PTFE; it doesn’t leak now, but it’s the first time I use jointing compound on a radiator tail

When I read similar discussions online it looks like people are only doing 6-10 turns

What am I missing?

Sponsored Links
Normal tape then 10 - 15 turns. Gas tape, which is thicker - 6 turns.

If you run the last turn or 2 just over the edge so it catches on the tapping threads when starting and don't tighten 'too much'

Normal tape then 10 - 15 turns. Gas tape, which is thicker - 6 turns.

If you run the last turn or 2 just over the edge so it catches on the tapping threads when starting and don't tighten 'too much'
With 10 turns, I would probably be able to tighten by hand

Something's not right then. What tails and rad?

If it's normal 1/2" tapping and standard tails then 15 turns with normal tape should be more than enough. Some also swear by thread cord - loctite 55 to name one.

Sponsored Links
does this sound like straight threads, rather than tapered?

It usually gets tighter as you go. Sometimes you need or add or reduce the tape a bit for a good position.

does this sound like straight threads, rather than tapered?

It usually gets tighter as you go. Sometimes you need or add or reduce the tape a bit for a good position.

definitely a straight thread on both the tail and the radiator

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back