Farewell freedom of speech....

Sponsored Links
We haven't had Free speech since 1986

Harassment, alarm or distress

The offence is created by section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986:

(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting

The difference now is that anything on social media is treated differently from what might have previously been said the street...

Dissent is no longer allowed in HM open prison UK!

The difference now is that anything on social media is treated differently from what might have previously been said the street...

Not really.

Posting something on face-book etc. is like putting up a poster, not having a verbal chat.

Which just shows how absurd it is we have a law that essentially outlaws publicly written communication that is considered "insulting".

Anything could be considered insulting.

Sponsored Links
It is completely different

Putting up a poster could be seen by a few people in the locale..

Putting up a comment or a website could be seen by how many?

Given the usefulness of social media in recent uprisings, do you not think our so called 'democratic' governments are now running scared?

How long before dissenting political voices are described as 'insulting'?

What is also worrying...

Governments in the west decry incidents of repression in other countries when the Quran/Mohamed is insulted...

Has the poppy/army now become our 'Quran'?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/nov/12/kent-man-arrested-burning-poppy
And funnily enough there is no comment section on that article...

The merit of the action is irrelevant - we are now no better than any tinpot dictatorship...

Nothing stopping him from making a bonfire of Poppies in his own home.

His mistake was putting a picture of it on the Internet.
So keep your views to yourself is now the policy?

I seem to recall that the west decried the reaction to many a muslim responce to the 'desecration' of their 'symbols'...

Can you tell me the difference?

Ellal.

Why are you acting all surprised?

Go read the public order act of 1986, it makes a sign that could be construed as "insulting" an offence.

All that has changed is that more people are being caught out by the law.

The law itself is an arse, go petition your MP about it.

The internet is the last bastion of free speech thats why the government will try to take control of it, they are using this cobblers about lord mac alpine being a paedo to justify cracking down on anyone who tells the truth, when Camoron talked about "witchunts" he was using a logical fallacy Witches don't exist but Paedos do,

I in no way agree with what this guy has done but should he have been arrested? no!!! How can we start arresting people for expressing themselves?

I in no way agree with what this guy has done but should he have been arrested? no!!! How can we start arresting people for expressing themselves?

If you find what he did insulting (which you have), then that is against the current law.

Petition your MP to have this law changed.

Sponsored Links
Back