Fastening MDF edge to edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to fasten MDF edge to edge. What do I use? RTA screws? I want the screw to be visible from one side only. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you would probably be better to biscuit joint it. Or you can use a pucket screw, ie going in at an angle.

Andy

ok assuming 12mm mdf and but joining mdf a right angles use a 3.2 or 3.5 drill with a 6 by 1.5 inch screw
drill the hole full depth of the screw
use the screwdriver bit as a countersink
avoid screwing within the last inch to avoid delamination
if it delaminates remove the screw pump in wood glue place a clamp over the area to fully support and screw together

Sponsored Links
Hi America

If you use MDF with edge to edge fixings with metal screws in a damp or even slightly damp room the edges will blow open within 12 months due to surface seal break.

Dont use screws at all

Take an 8mm drill bit with a centreing jig you make yourself, fir to the edge of mdf and drill out approx 12mm very carefully and at low speed to stop the burning. Do the same to the female piece.

Using 8mm dia moulding or core plugs and exterior pva wood glue, liberally fill drilled holes, fit plugs, spread excess over joining surface and mate your 2 pieces.

clamp up as tight as you can and wipe of any seapage - make sure the join has glue showing all round as this will also provide a watertight seal.

patience, good tools and a good aim with the drill bit - works every time

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back