Fastest way to remove old wallpaper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering starting some work preparing rooms by stripping painted wallpaper in an old house prior to getting a professional in to paint and decorate throughout. The house comprises of 6 rooms (incl Kitchen and bathroom) plus hall stairs and landing.

My thoughts are that if I undertake this first stage myself that I may be able to save some money :D The house dates back to the early 1900's and I am unsure of what I will find under the painted wallpaper which is on all walls and ceilings. I am hoping that there will be no need to re plaster !!

Couple of questions:
1. Am I being naive in thinking that I may save money by doing this preparation work prior to employing a pro?

2. If it makes sense to go ahead what is the best/fastest method? I do have access to an Earlex steam stripper and have also used water and detergent to soak paper in the past. Is there any other way e.g. chemical stripper?

Sponsored Links
I`d leave the ceilings alone...in an old house they`re lined for good reason. Maybe try DIF wallpaper stripping solution made by Zinsser from a trade outlet. Other Zin`s products are good. Please let me know if it goes well, cuz I`ve got a few rooms to do myself @ home and thought about using it ;)

I used a steam stripper on a job a while back. I ended up blowing the plaster in a couple of places, and the base coat of emulsion on the plaster bubbled so I had to go round with the steamer again taking it all off.

Now I just use a water sprayer and scraper - although I'm not sure how this would work on wood chip.

Really hot water and a squirt of detergent in it..the detergent slows the water down from evaporating too quickly and allows it to soak into the paper

Plus you should scrub the walls over afterwards to remove the paste, the detergent and hot water will make this easier for you..and youl wash down the paint work at the same time

I have used plenty of steam strippers over the years but personally Im not kene on them and have never owned one.

Sponsored Links
yes, except I like to use a broad scraper to get the old paste off the wall, rather than scrub it. Once you have used plenty of hot water + WUL with your soft broom or garden sprayer, the old paste comes off in a slimy layer, and you wipe the scraper when it builds up.

I expect you will have a fair amount of patching to do. Again, I recommend you use a broad scraper to level it off, preferably while still soft. If you let it dry and try to sand it flat this is a real drag and very dusty. Plaster is cheaper, faster and easier than fillers.

When you think the surface is perfect, give it a couple of coats of matt white emulsion, and this will even up the colour and you will see blemishes that were not obvious before.

Thanks for the advice from all.

Problem with the ceilings is that the old paper has bubbled badly in places and seams are lifting. Therefore it looks like stripping is the only solution - will try first in the smallest room :D

After the advice here I don't think I will risk it with the steam stripper - so it will be hot water and detergent.

I am anticipating a lot of patching work and will use plaster rather than filler. Like the idea of coating with matt emulsion to see the blemishes :LOL:

Last year I had to strip a whole room of wood-chip that had been painted over hundreds of times. I tried spraying, steaming, scrubbing, scratching and anything else you can name.

In the end I got hold of a big, professional steamer from a friend. I filled it with water and switched it on. Then I shut all the windows and the door and left it. I went back and topped it up with water from time to time. The room was like a steam bath.

After a few hours I went in there and the paper came off the wall really easily.

There’s obviously a risk of blowing the plaster and I took the precaution of covering all the electrics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back