Fault Diagnosis - Ferroli Falcon 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm wondering if anyone would know what the following symptoms point to fault wise on my boiler Ferroli Falcon 2.

Its a combi boiler, the hot water thermostat has no effect it just comes out max temp......and the central heating system will not work, the boiler fires up then bangs and clunks a bit the pressure shoots up and the relief valve kicks in......lights then start flashing and you have to turn off and on again to get any functionality. The boiler is a about 10 years old now so dont relly want to pay expensive call outs etc for diagnosis if its a dead duck.

A friend of mine who is a plumber suggested it sounded like a main board fault......any advice much appreciated.

Thanks - Ian

Sponsored Links
Most heating engineers wont charge a fortune to look at it . It may be the pump not spinning , it certainly isnt the board. A competent heating guy will fix it easily enough

So what about the hotwater side of things......could this be another faulty component? Basically I did wonder if it was the pump as it hadn't been used all summer and last winter as I have a log burner, the novelty of the log burners wearing off so wanted it fixed for this year. Are the pumps serviceable?

the majority of combis run the pump for hw & ch . If it stops spinning the boiler overheats & pressure builds & then the pressure relief valve pops.

Sponsored Links
Not on this one, its got a twin pass heat exchanger, possibly the pump on the central heating and could be a faulty thermistor on the hot water, cheaper to fix than replace I reckon.

Its always the way Picasso , couldnt be bothered to check if it was a twin pass hx & it is :unsure: . Oh well at least youve steered him in the right direction . Was thinking the hw thermistor as well

Are the pumps serviceable on this model, I was thinking about rebuilding?

Also is this a good boiler, it was here when I moved in?

I thought it might be.........I'll see how I get on with removing the pump.

The pump is only used on CH. It sounds like a jammed pump. See FAQ on how to unjam.

The DHW problem might be a faulty sensor. Needs resistance value measurement.

Tony

Hi thanks for the pointers about the pump......it was jammed up all working OK now. I have tested the resistance on the thermistor 11k when cold 3k when hot so seems to be working......the only other component I can think of is the variable resistor the control for DHW on the control pannel. Any ideas?

If the sensor is OK then that makes it more difficult to diagnose the problem.

It could be the PCB or gas valve settings.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back