Fault Finding Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fellas,
Still learning my way regarding fault finding, wondering if anybody can see any flaws or would they do it a different way with a slight problem today.

Split load board, 3 ring mains and a shower on RCD side, its a clipsall CU and i noted it was a terrible install.

RCD trips out about 5 times a day, the lady said it could be any appliance at all that trips it.

I isolated the ringmains and turned one on at a time checking each appliance as i went along, everything was fine on all the ring mains and shower.

I then plugged rcd tester in 1 ringmain and applied half the current, it tripped.
I then turned this ringmain off and did the same test on another ringmain and it tripped at half the current.

I then went to board, (test button on rcd was a bit dodgy) and applied the 3probes to load side of rcd, tripped out at half the current, im assuming its a faulty rcd (button was knackered anyway so needs replacing regardless)

Any advice appreciated?

Sponsored Links
As a final test I would try testing the RCD on its own without anything else connected to eliminate a possible fault on the circuits, if it still trips at 0.5I it is definitely dodgy.

Spark123
I should have said, yes i did that test on RCD, thanks for reply

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back