New Consumer unit RCD problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My problem is this :

I have just changed my consumer unit from a 4 fuse unit to an MK MCB type consumer unit. The incoming supply feeds 6 MCB's and an RCD. The RCD then supplies 4 MCBs, which I have run my mains power onto.

As far as I can tell, my entire house is powered from one ring. I can not find the riser for the first floor anywhere. I have run the old cable from the "Power" fuse to a 32A MCB. When I make the main isolation switch and then the RCD, the RCD trips, even when the power MCB isn't made. If I remove the wiring for the power, the RCD doesn't trip.

What would cause the RCD to trip? I have checked my earth connection and that is good. I have also checked (as far as I can) the ring main and it appears good.

I'm not fully conversant with the workings of an RCD and can't work out why it keeps tripping. There's obviously a fault on the ringmain, but I don't know where to start.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
in a split load board, there are 2 neutral bars. 1 for the RCD and 1 for the non-RCD. make sure all neutral are in the correct neutral bar. if they are, it could be a N-E fault. test the insulation with a insulation tester

The way I have tested this so far is to disconnect all the neutrals ( both bars) and reconnect individually. All of the non-RCD circuits are good.

As soon as I put the power circuit neutral onto the neutral rail (with no other neutrals connected), make the main insolation switch and then the RCD, the RCD trips instantly.

I have also put the power circuit to an MCB on the non-RCD side of the board, and it works fine.

I've just removed the wires for the power and tested them to earth. There is a good circuit between live and neutral to earth.

Have just found 1 riser to the 1st floor, but don't fancy ripping up a load of floorboards to find where the other is :)

What's the easiest way to chase an earth ?

Sponsored Links
DanE said:
I've just removed the wires for the power and tested them to earth. There is a good circuit between live and neutral to earth.

did you disconned all appliance before testing? there should be a hig resistance between the conductors, at least 0.5 M ohm. did you use an insulation tester to do this?
DanE said:
Also, when I switched the main isolator back on, there was a pop.

What's the easiest way to chase an earth ?

pop on what? did the RCD or MCB trip? have you done any DIY lately what could have damaged a cable? and what do you mean by 'chase an earth'? if there is a direct short between neutral and earth, expect it to be in a backbox or something where the screw has went thru the neutral. if it is old cable with bad insulation, youll have to replace the cab;e

I removed all the wires (L,N+E) from the CU, with the exception of the power circuit. When I turned the MCB on, there was a popping sound from the main isolation switch, although I haven't had it since.

I have not done any DIY recently so I don't think there are any cables damaged in that way. I'm not sure if the earth wasn't there before I started as I didn't test it.

I have found a single cable which goes upstairs to the first floor, but can't find the other cable which I presume comes straight from a socket somewhere. I haven't seen any obvious candidates yet.

On the previous CU, there were 3 wires being fed from the power fuse (which I thought was strange). I have all 3 wires in a TB and am now in the process of chasing the ground floor power circuit under the floorboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back