Fault finding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a job today finding a fault causing RCD to trip.
Located it down to outside lights.
This is a big house and stables with lots of external lighting, bollards, pir's, photocells etc.. Started looking into various bits breaking it down, and then happened to notice one armoured cable going into the ground, and two emerging... So there must be a joint somewhere..

Started digging down with my 'spade', and found this...

Sponsored Links
Ooh, I just LOVE those jobs.
Any rubber gasket under the lid?
I expect that box was not buried when it was installed though.

Time for some Magic Gel in there?

Used to see it a lot, most fit a rubber gasket yet leave the 4mm earth hole unplugged in the back.
Anyone that thinks one of them is watertight underground are mistaken.

In the beer gardens I used to put a short 4 x4 stump in and screw it to that, then the flex went to the Par 38 coloured spike lights :)

Sponsored Links
Its armoured isnt it.

3 way resin joint

Assuming theres a bit of slack

Air expands and contracts a lot and will invariably suck in water, fill with anything other than air and likely it will survive even petroleum jelly will likely stop water ingress.

But the main point is lack of paperwork, I am sure we are all guilty big jobs we make plans and say where the joint is, but small jobs we may make out installation certificates but location diagrams sadly rare.

I am however sure there is a location diagram in the distribution unit now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back