Fault with diverter valve and/or CH control panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
UPDATE - through a series of tests I have established the HW tank thermostat is working as is the heating control panel.

Now questioning, regards the motor on/motor off valve, the motor is "working" as it turns when pushed manually to start it, but just does not respond to the control panel switching heat on.

Anyone with experience think this sounds like it's just faulty and needs replacing?

Good folks of DIY not I hope you can shed some light on this for me;

Essentially, my house is approx 15 years old, oil fired CH. Photos below show components used.

Recently, the hot water has failed to heat in the mornings when on the timer, so after a bit of testing by my good self, I have noticed that the diverter valve for the hot water, fails to open in response to the water being turned "on" or put on the timer at the control panel.

However, if I manually prompt the red dial on the diverter valve by slightly moving it, it will then react to several commands of being turned on/off and to the timer, time and time again, without any further prompting by me. BUT, when left overnight, it doesn't react again and fails to heat water in the mornings.

My immediate thoughts were that this valve is faulty - replace, But my wife advises me that sometimes, when she turns the heating on for the radiators, it fails to turn on even if the thermostat is calling for heat. She says that she sometimes will prompt the CH diverter valve also! She does say that this has happened only a few times and generally the radiators will come on when the heating is turned on without issue.

Does this sound like 2 x faulty diverter valves or a faulty control panel?

Is there a way to better test this as both fixes are relatively expensive and ideally I'd like to splash out only on what is required?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

thumbnail_IMG_20191220_190822_1.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20191220_190846.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response, that's what I thought was most likely at fault here.

I'm only in this house a few years, but I would imagine these were installed at first construction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back