Fault with Glowworn 45/2 BBU back boiler WITH PIC!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning, not such a good one for me, no hot water this morning!

Had a look at the back boiler and the pilot is still lit, the pump is going when switched on and off at the controls but the boiler doesnt kick into life? The boiler stat (if its called that, black knob 1-10 on it) is clicking at around 1-2 but doesnt make the boiler jump to life.

Any ideas what obvious things I could look at or is it simply an engineer out job?

*EDITED as boiler name incorrect*

Sponsored Links
Have a look at it again you have the model name completly wrong . It helps to know which boiler

Sorry I thought it was a Baxi but it is a Glow-worm 45/2 BBU :oops:

Ok -

Gas ok as I still have a pilot
Central heating pump working when I use the wall controls so hopefully not them
I have turned off the pilot and relighted it ok

So,

The plug from the ignitor unit is plugged in ok. If I unplug it it makes no difference. I guessing either the unit on the left of the pic with the ignitor is broken (thermostat?), or the black unit in the centre which is fed by the wire from the (thermostat?) is.

Is that black centre unit an actuator which allows the gas to pass when it gets the signal from the unit on the left (thermostat?)

Any way I can safely test these items? I have a multi meter so I could probe the plug?

Any suggestions greatly received, the missus is whinging already!

07042010041.jpg

Sponsored Links
You never made it very clear. Do you have heating?
Dependant on your answer? it could be you diverter valve?
What is the name of the programmer you have? it may need reseting?

I would go for gas valve from here. Needs an RGI to check/replace.

It heats both water and rads, neither have any heat tonight.

Programmer is Honeywell ST1000 (it is an old mechanical one)

Gas4you, is an RGI a registered gas installer?

I agree the gas valve sticking seems to be the most likely bet.
Try giving the valve a sharp firm tap, it just might free it up (short term).

Any idea of what this should cost to be diagnosed and if necessary replaced?

Anyone local to Colchester, Essex that is competant and registered would like to come around?

You need to prove 240v to the gas valve solenoid.These solenoids are available as a spare and are easily changed by RGI's.No need to replace the whole gas valve.Part should be about £30.Fairly common failure.These valves are not prone to sticking.

the plug to the solenoid has three wires, one is an earth but can someone tell me what the others should be so I can test them to check

Btw I would ok to do this, ie by law?

Can anyone suggest a local company and how much its likely to cost if it is the solenoid?

I would be checking the black thing on the gas valve before replacing the gas valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back