Ideal Classic FF40 Boiler not lighting up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Got an Ideal Classic FF40 Boiler that doesnt seem to want to light up. I noticed tonight that the water pressure had gone down to around 1/2 bar and the boiler wasnt heating up. I fed some water in the system but the boiler still didnt fire up. The themostat clicks when I move it and the timer seems to be functioning ok.

I've gone through the start up process a few times and I've pressed the reset switch. The reset switch didnt seem to click or anything when I pressed it. The boiler seems to want to start but the pilot light doesnt come on.

I've noticed that the Drayton Zone Valve Actuator (ZA5) was pretty loose on the pipe in the airing cupboard. I've put it back on making sure that the pipework valve section is fitting correctly into the unit but it seems a little loose and doesnt clip in or anything. I cant move any of the black switches on the actuator wether it's on the pipe or off.

Can anyone help me diagnose wether the Actuator is the problem or the boiler?

I'd really appreciate some guidance here, I've tried looking for a manual/guide for the actuator but cant find one.

Sponsored Links
Can you hear the fan running

Hi, Thanks for your comment. To answer, no I couldnt hear it.

I phoned up a CH Engineer that I've used before and he came around first thing. He had a look around and the fan seems to spin fine if pushed but he said there's an Air Pressure Switch that wasnt working.

He sprayed it with WD40, unplugged and plugged a connection to the fan and tested it and it seems to work fine now. Very impressed!

That does not sound like a very permanent repair.

The fans often become tight and dont start turning.

WD40 should not be used on boilers as its flamable but in any case its only a short term solution to the problem.

I would guess that you are likely to need a new fan soon.

Tony

Sponsored Links
That does not sound like a very permanent repair.

The fans often become tight and dont start turning.

WD40 should not be used on boilers as its flamable but in any case its only a short term solution to the problem.

I would guess that you are likely to need a new fan soon.

Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for the comment.

Just to clarify, he sprayed the "Air pressure Switch" not the fan (when the Boiler was off). Does that make a difference?

Cheers

That shows that he is a nupty as spraying an APS would not normally make any difference.

If it were faulty then it needs to be replaced.

I have never sprayed an APS and I dont expect to ever do it either!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back