Ideal Classic FF 240 or Optia FF 40

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm soon to change my 13year old Ferroli Roma for an Ideal Classic FF 240 or Plumb Centers' Optia FF40. From this forum, I understand that they are identical boilers. But comparing the brochures of the Ideal Classic and the Optia I see that the Optia fan switch is mounted at the top right hand side whilst the Ideal Classic does not show the fan switch, possibly integral with the fan or elsewhere? As I understand that there is approx. £60 difference in price, obviously I should go for the Optia. My query is, (a) Is the Optia an earlier model of the Ideal Classic FF boiler or (b) is the Optia a purpose built / designed boiler solely for Plumb Center and (c) if so, are the parts interchangeable with the Ideal Classic Boilers? I would naturally assume that the Gas Council would have passed the Optia and given G.C. part numbers for all spares, but I am somewhat confused as to the origination of the Optia.
Do I buy the Optia FF40 or the Ideal Classic FF 240? I don't want to be stuck for spare parts in a few years. Anybody with first hand experience on both models, your advice would be valued and most welcome. :confused:

Sponsored Links
I can absolutely say without a shadow of doubt they are exactly the same boiler. Only the name is different.
All parts are the same,

Pointless there being both on the market then, as I said on another posting, all it does it confuse the customer, pis**es me off, just makes life more complicated than it needs to be.

Loads of manufacturers do it worcster become BG celsius boilers biasi become ideal mini`s .potterton performa becomes a baxi 105e.. And in car industry volkswagons become skoda`s, Citreon and peugot use the same people carriers , same as volkswagon sharon and ford galaxy`s. All different prices for same product. And people pay a lot more for a percieved superior product because of the name.

Sponsored Links
Yea and people complain about US ripping them off, Think I will try the £6800.00 for 7rads and a combi on my next quote to old people.

] :eek: I did not expect such a swift response to my query, and so many people taking the time to answer it! Thank you Gents. There is nothing to beat first hand / hands on experience in todays minefield of unhelpful manufactures. Thanks again, it looks like an Optia then!! Ped, I take it with that price of £68,000 you have moved up a bit from the Gas Co's Guaranteed Warmth Scheme of £199 for boiler- 4 rads & D.H.W. That must take you back a bit or am I showing my age?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back