Fault with Worcester 28i tripping consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My boiler has failed (Worcester 28i). It trips the RCD as soon as I attempt to turn on the central heating. But, when I turn on hot water it lets me have water fine until I turn off the tap and after the fan/pump run for about 5 seconds it trips the consumer unit again.

My friend who installed the combi has replaced the pump, fan, various things (apart from gas valve) and even the board (made it worse).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Any help appreciated!

Paul Morris

Sponsored Links
I would of guessed pump, hes costing you a fortune if hes changed all them parts with no joy, what fuse is in the spur/plug

thanks for the response baz.

He has a spare 28i and is a good friend. everything he has replaced he is ok with and wont charge me because it hasn't fixed it. They are not new parts so they could also be faulty but he says its doubtful.

Anyway to know definitely its the pump? I have asked him about the pump several times and he says he has eliminated it...

3 AMP fuse in the plug - no spur. This was replaced too at the start of today.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Thanks Picasso. From day one the mechanical timer was disconnected. We had an electronic one fitted. We have even disabled it and it still doesn't work. Weird problem...

+1 for Transformer you can usually tell by removing it and physically inspecting it for cracks or swelling and sometimes they just smell acrid

Hi all,

Another day and still the same problem. The old transformer was replaced with a spare. Same fault. Old one and replacement dont have a bad smell etc...

Engineer says all sensors have been bypassed/eliminated but it is still the same.

As soon as you turn the CH dial the RCB trips. Hot water ok until you switch it off and after exactly 5 seconds it will trip.

Does anyone know what happens at this 5 second mark that we could check?

Thanks again

Paul

The pump does not run for hot water on this model, when you turn off the tap a relay on the board brings the pump on for pump overrun or central heating if its being called for, dont know if there is a five second delay but I would be looking at the pump/wiring for a fault.

OK thanks both. Back to the pump it is.

I have asked an electrician to come tomorrow night (another friend) and he is also qualified to look at boiler faults. Hopefully he will find something.

Thanks again for your time and input - much appreciated.

Paul

Hi all,

I thought I would give you an update - it's all working again! :D

I told my plumber your last few posts about the pump again and when I was down the shops he had it running without tripping but the pilot wouldn't work correctly (one step closer).

Then after changing the flow valve (2nd change) it all was working again.

I asked what he changed on the pump and he was reluctant to tell me (maybe he didn't put the replacement in correctly....!)?

Anyway, hot water an heating again with no trips. Thanks again everyone, I really, really appreciate your comments.

Paul Morris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back