Faulty Bathroom Sink Hot Tap - shut off valve not re-opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The last couple of weeks my bathroom sink hot tap has been stiffening up when opening it. It's got the to the point now where sticks when I'm only getting a dribble of water out, I can't turn the (capstan) head any further than that point.

So now just trying to have a look at it. There is an in-line shut off valve on the down pipe, I turned this 90 degrees from vertical to horizontal, on the understanding that this would cut off the water supply, which has seem to do.
I took of the head cap, took the screw out, but then I couldn't get the capstan head/cover off (not sure how).
I drowned it all in WD40, and with a bit more pressure and gentle persuasion the spindle now goes to fully open (though I can tell it's full of crud in the gubbins, as it's not opening too willingly).

So I thought that would do for now, short term, and will have to get a plumber out to fix it properly.
So then I turned the tap to fully off, then I turned the in-line shut off valve back to it's vertical position, but now no water is coming through when I turn (force!) the tap on.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Sponsored Links
Yeah I know that short/medium term I'll need fix or replace the term, but right now the issue is the shut off valve doesn't seem to have re-opened.
That's the bit I'm looking for ideas on.
Thanks for the info though

Is your shut off valve the type with the plastic turn handle? If it is, then trust it not.....the plastic can easily override the flats on the valve.
If its a screwdriver slotted type, then that is indeed a mystery - maybe the ball has severed away from the screw....never seen that one though!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Is your shut off valve the type with the plastic turn handle? If it is, then trust it not.....the plastic can easily override the flats on the valve.
If its a screwdriver slotted type, then that is indeed a mystery - maybe the ball has severed away from the screw....never seen that one though!

It's the screwdriver slotted type!
oh balls!
Plumber it is!!

thanks

Dead easy to replace Steve - so long as your house stop cock works!
If your luck is really in, you can just replace the valve and leave the olives and nuts alone......it just depends on how far the copper enters the valve. If the olive meets the valve - great. If it doesn't, a bit more of a headache!

Thanks John
All those olives and nuts, made me feel peckish!
I'm pretty sure, I DIY-extreme-novice will just rely on having someone else do it. The thought of uncontrollable jets of water gushing out of anywhere sends shivers down my spine!
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back