1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a way to shut the water off to the kitchen taps?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by bettz1, 20 Oct 2019.

1. FiremanT

FiremanT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Oh, okay. Yes, obviously the cartridge was knackered - I assumed you damaged it trying to remove it.

These jobs are a pain, so I would not criticise you. Have you any silicon grease? Smear some around the rings and see how you go. Otherwise, it is new taps. Or a cloth to soak up the water :sneaky:.

As I said, these jibs are always a nuisance, so I woud never do them. Changing cartridges are nearly always sucessfull, though.

2. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is that a new spout ,looks in excellent condition ? What condition is the inside of the tap body ,where the spout fits in ? If its as clean as the spout ,they must be the wrong O rings.
    You could try removing the O rings ,wrap some PTFE tape where they sit and re fit .lubricate with water before fitting spout into tap body.

3. bettz1

bettz1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's not a new spout I left all the parts soaking in white vinegar for a few hours which got rid of all the limescale and brought them up looking great.

Sure this is my tap
    http://www.leisuresinks.co.uk/taps/aquadisc-2-tad2.aspx

I bought the O rings from the spare parts. I'll try some tape.

I thought the silicone was to help loosen the joints??

Last edited: 20 Oct 2019
  4. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Did you Clean inside the taps body as well ?

5. bettz1

bettz1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No I didn't ill do that once I get some tape.

6. bettz1

bettz1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just had a look inside looks clear nothing obstructing anything.

It's back to leaking even when the taps are switched off there's a slow leak it builds up round the seal then drips down,. I'm going to pick up some tape and try that baring that it looks like I'll admit defeat and start looking for a new tap

Any recommendations? Nothing to expensive as it'll most likely be a stop gap. IMG_20191021_105108.jpg

7. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If water is coming out ,with the spout removed completely ,and both taps are closed ,one or both of the valves that you fitted are letting by. Buy a new tap .The cheapest one you can find ,if only a stop gap.

8. bettz1

bettz1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Water wasn't coming out the spout when I took it off. Didn't help that I turned the washing machine valve off and we were trying to do a wash .

Put some ptfe tape round the o rings and so far so good(y).

Another problem is this due to me shutting the water off and emptying it a few times the water pressures really low! Left the taps running for a few mins...

Just checked the red expansion vessel and its showing this. Would this be why the water pressure is slower?

I remember the plumber using a bike pump somewhere? But would this just be for the heating? IMG_20191021_143508.jpg

Last edited: 21 Oct 2019