Fitting basin taps. Valve doesn’t shut water off?

e11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Tried to fit basin taps in the downstairs WC. That doesn’t have any valves I could find (pic attached) under the sink which is fine so I went to the sink in the kitchen and found one (pic attached)

I shut this valve off and Unsurprisingly it shut off both the cold and hot water supply in the kitchen sink taps, however it only shut off the hot tap in the WC sink but not the cold water tap? It still runs with the same flow as before. I thought leaving it for a few minutes may eventually go down but it still continued to run. Really had me stumped, but thinking there may be somewhere else or another dial to shut this off. There is supposed to be a water tank in the attic but don’t want to be going up there if there’s no need to. First time fitting taps.

Any advice is appreciated

Attachments

• 5E8DA260-8ADF-4E10-8E43-E1346A45DC7B.jpeg
    5E8DA260-8ADF-4E10-8E43-E1346A45DC7B.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 246
  • 9CE6D968-2AC1-4F53-B255-A58AA1E24E72.jpeg
    9CE6D968-2AC1-4F53-B255-A58AA1E24E72.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sounds like you may have both direct and indirect supplies. So need to look for a second stopcock in the property.

Blup

There is supposed to be a water tank in the attic but don’t want to be going up there if there’s no need to.

You need to :)

You could run the tap till the tank is empty, but that’s not ideal. Better to go up and see if there is a valve on the tank outlet that you can close.

The other possibility is that there is more than one supply into the property. That’s not unheard of in old flats, for example - but unlikely in most properties.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the help. Looks like a trip to the attic tomorrow :)

The house was built in 1998, but a lot of oddities in the properties including the struts themselves but wouldn’t surprise me if there was a 2nd supply into the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back