Is there a way to shut the water off to the kitchen taps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short one of my tap valves is knackered

IMG_20191020_123148.jpg

Which means i cant turn the water on at the mains without it creating a swimming pool in my kitchen :LOL:. I can't see any isolation valves under the sink only the main shut off

The main shut off in blue

IMG_20191020_140727.jpg

Dishwasher shut off & outside tap
IMG_20191020_140743.jpg

Washing machine shut off
IMG_20191020_140805.jpg

Should there be a way to turn the water off just to the kitchen taps?:whistle:

Not sure what this is
IMG_20191020_135828.jpg

Sponsored Links
Should there be a way to turn the water off just to the kitchen taps?:whistle:

Not sure what this is

You could argue there should be but unfortunately there isn't. The bottom picture is a pressure reducing valve.

Would i be able to buy a blanking cap or something to stop the water for a day? it'll prob just come out the spout part if there was

Nothing obvious/easy that I can see, it doesn't help with all the solder fittings.

Sponsored Links
Would i be able to buy a blanking cap or something to stop the water for a day? it'll prob just come out the spout part if there was

If you are going to buy a cap, why not just buy the part?

It can be annoying trying to buy the individual cartridge, as the spindle can differate (if there is such a word :) )
Just buy a repair kit and change both,if necessary. Something like this will be available at a plumbers merchant or shed.

The Home Store Lever Head Tap Conversion Kit (Pair) 1/2" 1/4 Turn Meal Chrome Head including Valves

Lever Basin Tap Reviver Kit 1/2" (Toolstation - probably open today)

Fit an isolation valve to hot and cold supply pipes going to the tap. Then repair or replace the tap.

How did you manage to take the tap cartridge in your pic out without turning the water off ?

The OP has got 15 mins from now to dash to Toolstation. When he gets home he will be able to sort in 15 minutes.

If they have stock.................
Haha just got bk just picked these up. Is it worth changing them both or should it be okay just changing the knackered one

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta...TndzC2_8vV9JBKoiCmB-uDJxV4L64qNAaAtvDEALw_wcB

They've done the job the spout is still leaking so I've put some plumbers mate round it and it's stopped only thing I had

Hour later and it's still leaking bloody thing, I'll try a bit of loctite 55 2mos round the new o rings
IMG_20191020_184424.jpg

Last edited:
You have misdiagnosed, mate.

The problem with the tap is the "O" ring - the new cartridges were never going to sort that.

The problem is identifiying the exact size of "O" ring - and you need to know the exact make and model, or buy a pack of rings to compare.

When I was SE, I refused these jobs the punter sourced the washer, as they always came bouncing back.

There will be a grub screw somewhere at the back.Loosen that off and firmly pull the spout up and out to reveal a spigot with two washers. As a DIYer, you could try some silicon grease.

You have misdiagnosed, mate.

The problem with the tap is the "O" ring - the new cartridges were never going to sort that.

The problem is identifiying the exact size of "O" ring - and you need to know the exact make and model, or buy a pack of rings to compare.

When I was SE, I refused these jobs the punter sourced the washer, as they always came bouncing back.

There will be a grub screw somewhere at the back.Loosen that off and firmly pull the spout up and out to reveal a spigot with two washers. As a DIYer, you could try some silicon grease.

The O rings were all new as well. The cold tap cartridge was def knackered

I've no grub screw at the back.I've definitely got the right model O rings

IMG_20191019_122520.jpg

IMG_20191019_141551.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back