Faulty Diverter on Combi??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a Potterton Statesman Flowsure Combi (Oil) 9 years old.
Think it may be a diverter problem.
When running the hot tap (usually bath) the water is running cold, nothing unusual there, except that it stays cold for a very ong time meanwhile all the radiators have heated up.
This is the case even though the central heating is either turned off, or on timed mode (and not due on) and the room stat is turned down.
Am i on the right track???
Is it worth the cost of replacing this, when l am due to have a new boiler fitted in Summer??
With baited anticipation

Sponsored Links
Oil boilers are not our thing, but sounds like you are on the right track. But only you can answer if it is worth doing. If yu can live with the situation then fine, wait. If not change it.

Hi oils not really my bag either If this oil combi has a small thermal store as a lot have . if it has a diverter valve with a large zone valve head that can be removed u can maually alter it to be in the mid position feeding heating & store whenever the heating is on. Got 2 set hot water stat to max if it has one.This is a guess cos i dont know that boiler but u can do it with the worchster hi flow's.

caterhamplumbing said:
Oil boilers are not our thing...
Nor mine, but I know that there are at least two very well-respected oil boiler experts on this forum.

Sponsored Links
Bring em on down. goin to pick up some kids now. buy for awhile

I stand corrected - there are at least three :D

I'm off now to post some entries on topics I know nothing about :evil:

bab said:
goin to pick up some kids now
BTW bab - are those your kids, or ones that Gary Glitter had booked (before he become indisposed)?

sounds like diverter valve is jammed. cos its a errrr diverter .... take head off, two screws . and have a feel. :p
or switch power off and listen if it spring returns.

Dont worry softus i'm a plunmber not a perv. my kids 9/11 & 14 harder than fixin boilers.

From the symptoms you describe,the fault is with the diverter valve motor.This is an easy and inexpensive straight swop.Usually a myson motor,ensure replacement has the same identification number.Google search on :baxi parts arena : for part number.

err. the motor gets power when ch selected. and as we have ch ...

anyway, last time i tried changing poxy motor on myson valve...had cams and springs flying everywhere. maybe its just me. as if i give a fkk.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Do you really need to spend money on replacing a 9 year old boiler? Why? These boilers are build so they will last 20 years. Are you changing from a combi to something else? whatever you're up to, unless you are putting in a wall mounted replacement, you could save hundreds of pounds by keeping it. Or has some moneygrabber told you it's on it's last legs?

oilman said:
Do you really need to spend money on replacing a 9 year old boiler? Why? These boilers are build so they will last 20 years. Are you changing from a combi to something else? whatever you're up to, unless you are putting in a wall mounted replacement, you could save hundreds of pounds by keeping it. Or has some moneygrabber told you it's on it's last legs?
HEAR HEAR TEL IT AS IT IS OILMAM

Oilman - i think you have hit the nail on the head.
To replace the diverter actuator is £40, however to replace this and the valve is a whopping £200, (and this is just the parts) as the valve is not the standard 22mm fitting, it is like an exhaust manifold fits inside the boiler, hence considering a new boiler.
Many thanks to all, it seems i'm not as stupid as i thought, er or perhaps!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back