Faulty gas meter?

It might be a daft question but, I don't suppose you have checked to see if the dial is moving with everything turned off? (Including the pilot light)

Sponsored Links
Being covered in stickers does not mean squat - unfortunately. I see allsorts of stickers left by BG - I never assume the boiler was correctly serviced...
Soot-1.jpg

We have already established your boiler is overgasing by quite a bit... It could be worn injectors, burner ports, failing gas valve or just an idiot who serviced it the last time without checking it has rates etc.

You are not the first, and as sure as eggs taste good you won't be the last.

How could a 20.5kWh appliance use more than it's rated value? I'd have thought it would be rated at that as that's the most amount of gas it'll let in?
Er, wrong.

and..

HW usage??

Sponsored Links
ChrisR & Dan, I think you're both in agreement that you think the boiler is at fault! You've got a lot more knowledge about this than me so I'll take your advice and get it serviced this year unless we get it's replacement booked in fairly soon.
Fortunately at the moment it seems to be on lean streak using around 1.4 units a day instead of the 2.6 we've been seeing on the bills.

I've paid for the meter swap up front so that will go ahead but I'll assume that will test OK.

PS Just to help get my head round it, why does an appliance take gas faster when operating inefficiently?
From what you've both said, I'm guessing that the valve's maximum flow isn't 20.5kWh's worth of gas and it will in fact open much wider than that and consume enough to reach it's pre-determined heat output?

@ giblets - no leaks, all stops when off ;)

I have not been following all this in much detail but what does stick out is that a boiler with an output of 20 kW and about 65% efficiency is going to consume 30 kW of chargeable gas.

If the useage if not being controlled with economy in mind that perhaps am annual gas bill of £1000 is not that unreasonable.

The efficiency falls off rapidly if the boiler is cycling because its over rated for the actual load.

Tony

The boiler is supposed to consume 20kW of gas; we have assumed that that is being used to 65% efficiency - a generous assumption at that.

27kW or so is actually being burned. I suspect this boiler is getting heavily sooted internally and the burners are sh@gged.

Buzz, units are irrelevant - it is the gas rate that is important when taken into context with the data badge on the boiler.

And a very foxy english actress in a black and white film has just said:

"I am getting cramp in the most perculiar of places"

Why don't they make women like that anymore?

:LOL: I'm watching the 7th Seal now - 'cept I have English in the left speaker, Swedish in the right, a pint of red wine in the left hand, the mouse in the right, the film on yhe left monitor, and DIYnot on the right.

Things are a little dizzy, now where's that bottle?

:oops:

Minor update.
Yesterday they changed the meter, it's now a brand new cubic meter version.

Previous usage while measuring was consistantly around 1.4 units = 140 cubic ft = 3.96 cubic meters a day during the last 4 weeks daily readings.

First day on the new meter for 24 hours is 2.2 cubic meters.

Early days but nothing has changed with the DHW programming and the heating is still off so that doesn't factor. Keeping my fingers crossed that those figures continue and I'll get some money back. ;)

You may find it difficult to accept whatever the test results give. I also wonder just how independent they are.

If the test does show a fault then thats VERY unusual. Most faults would be registering less gas not more!

Tony

I expect even if the meter is over reading there's probably still a problem with the boiler too as discussed.

According to Ofgem though, "only" 3 out of 10 meters sent for testing are actually faulty. That sort of number doesn't really sound like an "only" to me... :rolleyes:
It was actually my parents who suggested getting it tested, it hadn't occured to me before it was mentioned. I always just expected them to be accurate.

There's was over reading by 28% when tested. :eek: Supplier had no problem refunding past fuel charges straight away so at least there wasn't a battle there.

As long as it's out by over 2% I get a refund on the testing charge. Woth knowing either way for piece of mind I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back