106KWh per day Gas consumption?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Too much.? My elderly (95) Mum lives on her own in a small detached 2 bed , with gas combi boiler 5 years old. Her most recent gas bill with actual meter readings says she has used 39000 KwH in the last 12 months, thats more than 106 per day, Shes at home all day. Boiler timer is set on from 7am to 10pm, with thermostat set to around 24.
Boiler also heats water on demand.
Can this be right? Any suggestions other than the usual insulation and clsoe doors options?? thanks

Sponsored Links
Anywhere near 17,000 kw/hrs can be considered average use, according to ofgem. Your mums is a little high, although her operating times are lengthy.
It may pay to get the system and boiler checked, and also review what rooms are heated and insulate as much as you can.

heeelllooo and welcome EdMarsh :D :D :D

put another jumper on and reduce to 21/22 degrees will save a fortune

if you have thermostaic radiator valves turn them down to 18 in other rooms not used much during the day and 15 in rooms not used

24 ° C is likely to have the boiler on most of the time during the programmed 15 hours, even though it will modulate down. There is also DHW usage to consider. As posted, the high programmed temperature and the length of time the heating is on will amount to well above average gas consumption for the size of house.

Sponsored Links
My elderly mum also used to turn the heating up, and put the gas fire on as well, even in summer.

Sadly extravagant usage does result in high bills.

If you take accurate meter readings more often, you will be able to identify patterns of daily usuage.

I've done some simple calcs, the boiler is on 15 hours a day at a set point of 24'c in cold weather it is unlikely that 24'c will ever be achieved

106 Kw'h per day divided by 15 hours = 7.0 Kw/h which is about right for what the system is being asked to do.

Improving the thermal insulation of the property, turning down rads in un-used rooms and reducing the set point to say 21'c will all help reduce costs ;)

The average US house takes 6 BTU per square foot per Heating Degree Day, and 100,000 BTUs = 29.3 kwh. My leaky old house comes in at 11 and a tight new house comes in at 2.

If you can find temperature data and insulation data for a typical house in your area of similar construction you can gauge how reasonable this is.

http://www.degreedays.net/

• Thanks
Reactions: DP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back