Excessive gas consumption

Each unit on your imperial meter reading bill is equivalent to 100 ft³ as explained before. The 2 right hand units on the meter read individual units but only the left hand numbers are read...these are incremented every 100 ft³

This is even understood by JonB.

Therefore your annual reading of 1300 equates to 130000 ft³ per annum or 3682 m³ per annum ie averaging 10m³ per day.

So you current reading of 38 m³ per day does not seem far out considering it's winter.

Sponsored Links
38M³ is approximtely 1200 Kilowatt hours.

The EC31HS is quoted by Sedbuk as 31kW output with 90.3% efficiency, say 35kW input.

The boiler would have to run full out for 1200/35 = 34 (Thirty-four) hours every day to use up this amount of gas.

Something wrong somewhere, but I am not going to get into a slanging match as to what.

The EC31HS is quoted by Sedbuk as 31kW output with 90.3% efficiency, say 35kW input.

The boiler would have to run full out for 1200/35 = 34 (Thirty-four) hours every day to use up this amount of gas.

Something wrong somewhere, but I am not going to get into a slanging match as to what.

I thought burning 1m3 of gas gave approx 11.06kWh which makes 38m3 roughly 420kWh.

420/35 = 12 hours a day.

http://www.carbontrust.co.uk/resource/energy_units/default.htm

Here is my Advice take it or leave it it would be the same if you where paying me so here goes:

1. Nusku is Bang on with his calculations that would show working at full rate for 12 hours a day based on assumption's given

2. I am afraid you where reading your old imperial meter WRONG - if i was being billed £1 per ft3 i would be running off to one of those comparison sites and changing my supplier. - This is all but a common mistake check your bill you may even find they have assisted you in this fantasy by having '000 or something above the readings - once again a common mistake.

3. As for agile (Tony) yes he is blunt but if more people took notice of what he said i wouldn't have to visit so many badly installed boilers or worse still, people using internet diagnosis to save a few quid then complaining that the boiler is on all the time or worse when it stops working - But on the internet my usual comment is on the internet it tells me how to make a bomb but i don't go around doing it, or something to this affect I'm not on about good advice like you can get from here i am on about the crazy advice given by some to the affect of oh you don't need a flue i put mine into the tumble dryer condenser it worked fine but my dog died the same day- THIS IS NOT ADVICE IT is a made up peaice of rubbish to make a point!

4. If you are ever in doubt about your meter you could just run your boiler for one hour at full and monitor the gas usage to check the meter but i have only ever found 1 faulty meter in 8 years and that was only tiny bit at fault

5. if still in doubt call a local engineer and ask them to test for leaks or do a soundness test (tightness test) (Drop Test) what ever you used to call them when you where on the job yourself. (assuming you have a 'u' gauge

Have a nice night.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, who is the blind.

Your assertion that 38 cubic metres "seems about right to me" for 24 hours use, well I will leave others to judge your capabilities to give advice.

QED !

As for agile (Tony) yes he is blunt but if more people took notice of what he said i wouldn't have to visit so many badly installed boilers or worse still, people using internet diagnosis to save a few quid then complaining that the boiler is on all the time or worse when it stops working - But on the internet my usual comment is on the internet it tells me how to make a bomb but i don't go around doing it, or something to this affect I'm not on about good advice like you can get from here i am on about the crazy advice given by some to the affect of oh you don't need a flue i put mine into the tumble dryer condenser it worked fine but my dog died the same day- THIS IS NOT ADVICE IT is a made up peaice of rubbish to make a point!

indeed ;)

Yes, I had forgotten that my own meter reads in hundreds of cubic feet:oops: So I had multiplied by 2.83 to give cubic meters. So 38M³ is 1200/2.83 =424 kW.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back