Excessive gas consumption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A new gas boiler in a new 4-bed house was fired up on Saturday for the first time. It is the only appliance connected to the gas supply. After 24 hours the gas meter reading showed consumption to be 38 cubic metres (the new meter records in metric) . In my old 5-bed house with a 25 year old boiler and including cooking used 1300 cubic FEET (the old meter records in imperial) per annum. A quick calculation shows that the in the first 24 hours the new gas installation is about equal to 1 year's consumption of the old house. Surely this cannot be right. How likely is it that the new meter is completely out of callibration.

Sponsored Links
I sympathise. That sounds horrendous, the last couple of months we are using between 2 & 2.5 cubic ft. per day in a 3 bed semi (Ferroli combi) & NO cooking on from 8-30AM till 10-30 PM.
Must be a duff meter.
Your reading of 1300 cubic ft seems OK for a bigger house = 3.56 per day average.
JonB

This seems to be the blind leading the blind!

Could I suggest you look at the meter with the cubic feet and see carefully exactly what it shows!!!

The comsumption in m³ seems about right to me.

Tony

Sorry, who is the blind. I seem to remember your reply to a genuine question some 18 months ago and you still haven't changed your arrogant and patronising style. Let me try to make it clearer to you. Over a 10 year period in the old house meter readings were logged every week. These ranged from as high as 70 units in the winter weeks when demand was naturally high to as low as 2 units in the summer months when demand was naturally low. An average annual consumption was 1300 cubic feet. This former property meter measured in CUBIC FEET as stated on the meter. The new meter started at 00000.000 and 24 hours later registered 00038.497. This new property meter measures in CUBIC METRES as stated on the meter. Now if you go to any internet site which offers metric to imperial calculations you should find that 38 cubic metres is equal to 1341.957 cubic feet. Your assertion that 38 cubic metres "seems about right to me" for 24 hours use, well I will leave others to judge your capabilities to give advice.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, who is the blind. I seem to remember your reply to a genuine question some 18 months ago and you still haven't changed your arrogant and patronising style.

I will leave others to judge your capabilities to give advice.

I have given you free advice but unfortunately, like many customers, you assume that everyone working in the heating industry is an ignorant plumber who left school at 14 and is intellectually inferior to you.

Whilst you clearly dont want to take my advice, can I suggest that you look up the specifications of your boiler and see how many cubic metres of gas it is designed to consume per hour.

As to JonB who has not been rude to me yet, can I suggest you look at your meter and see if it really reads in units of 100 cu ft ?

Tony

I worked in the trade up until 1990 (self-employed, RP). I want to start again and want to know the quickest route to CORGI registration. I have read about ACS but I'm not sure if this means if I can then apply for CORGI, also any idea what all this would cost.

If thats the case then I am surprised that you cannot work out all these questions yourself!

Tony

You must have a VERY large house if you need 27 kW of heating just for UFH.

UFH typically provides a maximum of 70 watts/m sq. That means your house has 450 sq M. Thats 45 average size bedrooms!

I dont believe that. In any case if your house is so large with even just 12 bedrooms then you should be able to afford a proper heating consultant as the house would be in the £1M-£3M price range.

The consultant would have told you that a combi boiler is sized for the hot water output NOT the heating output. You need about 24 kW of water heating per bathroom if you are happy to wait to fill a bath in 15 minutes, with three thats 75 kW and a commercial boiler as the largest domestic is only about 35 kW.

You will also need a water mains supply capable of giving 40 litres per minute, four times the norm and requiring a 35 mm supply pipe.

I just do not understand why you dont get a competent heating consultant to visit you and discuss your requirements. But that will cost you some money and perhaps you are very mean and think that you can get free advice on a £16,000 installation off the internet without a visit and it will work to perfection.

The world that I live is not like that!

Tony Glazier

Thats the reply I gave you to a question you asked before. Your response was to call me "a nerd".

You were clearly unable to understand the technicalities of my reply !

Tony

My house has a floor space of 260 square metres and no I do not have 26 bedrooms just 4 but I also have 3 reception rooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 kitchen, 1 utility room and hall. It is valued at £350,000 not £1m - £3m.

I left school at 15 and served my plumbing apprenticeship which undoubtedly you did also. Not being active in the trade for a few years means that certain technicalities have been forgotten but not lost. I do not judge a persons intellect by their job title but often people with a chip on their shoulder seem to play this card.

I have paid for professional services and although I post on here that does not mean I am trying to get things on the cheap. I post questions on this forum to garner views and opinions based on what I have asked. Twice you have posted rude replies why I dont't know. It seems you were describing JonB as blind as well as me but perhaps I misread that. I thought the purpose of a forum was to discuss and share ideas in an open and fair style, I will leave others to judge your style.

Not wishing to get involved in the slanging match it might be useful to know what make & model of boiler is installed that is using 38 cu m in 24 hours in order to offer a considered opinion.

The boiler is an EC31HS supplied by Eco Hometec and made by MHG. I have sent queries to the boiler supplier and energy provider regarding this matter but am awaiting replies. The meter in question clearly has m3 on the front and has five digits in black and three in red giving 00038.756 as the reading (it was a new meter starting at 00000.000). I have asked the energy supplier to confirm the reading as 38.756 cubic metres hoping that they will say what an ass I have been and that the real reading is 0.38756 cubic metres, but I don't think so.

Agile
I have just been on the EDF website & you are correct the readings are in 100's of cubic ft.
JonB

Back to basics for the innumerate :rolleyes:

From the manual the boiler consumes between 0.5m³/hr on it's minimum output up to 3.44 m³/hr maximum output.

So 38 m³ per day would appear entirely feasible.

And to only consume 1300ft³ per year (approximately 37 m³) is obviously garbage. 37m³ is the volume of a typical room..do you really think you only consume that much gas in a WHOLE year :?:

As the house is new and has not been heated before then it is possible that the initial gas consumption will be quite high as the building fabric itself will be cold & damp. After the fabric of the building has warmed up/dried out then the consumption figures should drop a fair bit.

In reply to Gasguru.

The meter in the old house did measure in cubic feet and the gas consumption did indeed average 1300 as JonB seems to concur. The gas statements from nPower are in cubic feet and add up to 1300. The gas charge for the last 12 months came to £1056

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back