Faulty Lock

S

Shutpa

Front door locks OK from the inside but for some reason I cant get the key into the lock from the outside. This outside part is now upside down (the straight edge of the key has always been at the top when locking or unlocking the door). Don't know the make of the lock but it's a Mk2 with what looks like WmC embossed. The whole unit is about 210mm long by 25mm wide. Any suggestions? The lock has not been tampered with because one minute it was fine and the next kaput!

Sponsored Links
What sort of a lock is it?

A yale?
p3505702_s.jpg
p3505178_s.jpg

A mortice deadlock?
p3497446_s.jpg

a Rim lock?
p2338644_s.jpg

Or has it got a Euro cylinder like this
p2508410_l.jpg

What shape is the key?

Is it a plastic door or a wooden one?

Thanks John D for your very informed reply! From your illustrations my lock is clearly of the Euro cylinder type with keys resembling those in the illustrations.

Sounds like a Euro cylinder in a UPVC door. If the keyway is upside-down (straight edge of the key to the bottom) - you will need to insert a thin blade or spring steel along the bottom of the key hole, all the way to the back, and then press down on the pins whilst rotating the plug to its correct position. If this doesn't work, it could be that the cam has twisted and it will need resetting or replacing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks HandyHands, but as I am a complete amateur I don't really know the difference between the keyhole and the keyway! Are they in fact the same thing and what on earth are the pins?

Cheers HandyHands. A straightened large paper clip worked a treat and lock now back in working order. Would I be better replacing it?

Unusual for this to happen - only seen it when people have been tampering. If it happens again, I'd swap it out for a higher security one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back