Cannot remove key from Euro Cylinder when door is locked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I got an issue where my front door does not lock with the key from outside but using the thumbscrew inside you can lock and unlock the door.

So I thought easy fix I will change the cylinder but when I change the cylinder you can lock the door but cannot remove the key?

The old one works fine locking and unlocking from inside using the thumbscrew.

Is a thumbscrew cylinder different from a normal cylinder or is my mechanism in the door that is also faulty as well as the original cylinder?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Some Euro cylinder locks have a double turn method, try turning it again and see if that works.

Some Euro cylinder locks have a double turn method, try turning it again and see if that works.

Unfortunately the key does not turn fully in the lock, I pull the handle up turn the key the bolt comes out but then the key does not turn fully for me to get it out and when I go back the other way it unlocks and then I can take the key out.

Hope that makes sense?

Mines done that a couple of times over the last 15 years. New cylinder required both times. Easy to fit, just one screw but you need to measure it accurately to get the correct length as well as the inner and outer distance from the screw thread. You’d better check whether your home insurance will still be valid with a thumbscrew - if thieves can unlock your door from the inside when you are out, it may not be. Also worth looking at various cylinder options - anti bump, anti snap etc.

Sponsored Links
I had a problem where a new cylinder would become increasingly stiff and then stopped. I couldn't remove the key. Ended up calling a locksmith and it was the mechanism that had gone. New mechanism and the new cylinder and key work perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back