faulty pump now gives fault on boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I havnt had hot water for a couple of days and the circulation pump has been sounding a bit ropy and jamming for a few weeks so thinking its because it hasnt pumped enough heated water into the tank I ordered another one (DAB VA65/130) although the new one was an EVO model?!?! anyway fitted it and fired up the boiler (Glow Worm 18hxi) and after a few seconds got a F10 on it, tried a few more times and got the same. Put the old pump back and that now gives an F24.

Any ideas whats going on?

Sponsored Links
your old pump sounds knackered, are you sure you put the new pump facing the right way? f10 means return thermistor fault or air in the system, try bleeding the system to clear the air before running the boiler.

The new pump is fitted the same way as the old pump the only different being the new pump is an EVO whatever that means?!?!. Im only running the system on hot water at the moment and have re pressurised the main tank, should the rest of the system i.e. bleeding the radiators make a difference? Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
The new pump is fitted the same way as the old pump the only different being the new pump is an EVO whatever that means?!?!. Im only running the system on hot water at the moment and have re pressurised the main tank, should the rest of the system i.e. bleeding the radiators make a difference? Am I missing something?

you have to bleed the whole system to get all the air out :eek:

there should be an arrow stamped on the body of the old and new pump, make sure they were/are both pointing in the same direction.

I have worked out where the pressure issue is coming from after bleeding all the rads (very little air and just in the higher ones). The isolation valve above the pump was closed when it should have been open, Opps, should have really checked that first but I used incorrect logic and expected it to be the same as the one below the pump. Anyway now the pump runs continuously and the boiler fires but for only a few seconds then shuts off and fires again a few minutes later etc etc. Im guessing im back to the original fault now but with a new pump?!?

its not circulating. make sure all valves are properly open, and system is correctly filled and bled. Have you bled the pump? any other air vents you can find. Put the pump on max speed

Hi and thanks for bareing with me. I have bled the pump, Iv only touched the valves above and below the pump and iv checked these now by opening them with the pump not fitted to check for water. When the boiler fires it makes a clunking sound, the temperature sores and then it shuts off to protect itself im guessing. I can seem to find any other pressure relief valves however im getting into unfamiliar territory now so any guidance before I have to shell out lots for a plumber at the weekend?!?!

My Boiler is a Glow Worm 18hxi on the ground floor of the house and I have a Megaflow CL170HE Tank on the second floor. The amount of pipe work in the tank cupboard is pretty confusing to someone whos never worked on a sealed system and is trying to get his head round it for the first time, having only diy'ed on conventional systems. Hopefully this will give you an insight as its not to easy to work out if the boiler is fed straight from the cold water supply and then pumped (pump is next to tank) to the Megaflow tank or whether it cycles from the Megaflow?!? Im guesing its the later as it has a primary flow and primary return marked on the tank?

Thanks to everyone that helped, managed to sort it at last. I have continually represerising the system while letting air out, replaced to the new pump and now touch wood everything seems fine :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back